Barbados for a week- winter sun


Advertisement
Barbados' flag
Central America Caribbean » Barbados
November 23rd 2017
Published: November 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Certainly a good place for winter sun but it is very hot and anti-insect bite spray is essential but still probably wont save you! If there is more than one plane arriving at the airport expect huge long winding queues at immigration- almost as bad as Los Angeles but at least it is air conditioned. We arrived at our apartment at Beach View, Paynes Bay after dark so could not see the surroundings but we were very ,pleased with the 2 bedroomed apartment with lovely large sitting room, dining area and kitchen with a comfortable patio area looking out to the pool. Our first foray was as usual to find a beer which we found on the roof top of one of the 3 buildings which make up the small resort. The following morning, Robin the owner gave us a lift in his golf buggy to Holetown where a huge new Massy's supermarket has just opened- a good place to get beer and wine etc at reasonable prices. Barbados is expensive and the prices in restaurants are London + . As we have an apartment we can have one salad and cold meats meal in and one decent meal out. As it was a Sunday there weren't that many places available a walk away. The roads in Barbados are not looked after and the pavements are even worse so wear decent flat shoes for walking out. We had dinner in the Tamarind, which I would not recommend as it is pricey and the food is only OK and it is very much lacking in atmosphere. There is clearly little town planning - lovely complexes lead out onto a crappy road and are often built by the side of wooden houses which can be next to concrete ones. There are clearly people with money in large beautiful houses but the surrounding infrastructure is lacking. At least they have free university education.

Our first adventure was to catch the local bus from the little bus stop on the main road in front of our villas. All the bus stops are given girls names for some reason. One tip- if the bus is full wait for the next one. Ours was packed but we got on it and had to stand clinging onto the overhead bar while the driver went at break neck speed all the way to Bridgetown. Deafening music with a loud thumping beat accompanied our journey, the discomfort of which was compounded by a lady who was very much "traditionally built" deciding to get off and squeeze past us! At least it only cost 2 Barbadian dollars and is certainly an experience you must have if you come here. In fact we have caught the bus back from Holetown to our place mid morning- got a seat and it was fine.

We had been to Bridgetown twice before and I had got it in my head that there was a nice old colonial centre but there is only Heroes square with a statue of Nelson, a dry fountain, an old church and parliament building. We crossed over the bridge over the Marina to what is really the only bar restaurant in the area. Another tip if you intend to shop is to carry your passport, address in Barbados, flight number and details of arrival and leaving. This is all required if you don't want to pay tax. After despairing of finding a decent restaurant for lunch we caught a taxi back to Holetown and went to Zaccios, a very nice place overlooking the sea. The food there was terrific- would go back anytime- recommend the grilled calamari, Bajan soup, trio of fish and Caesar salad with prawns.

It is lovely having a light breakfast on the patio with visits from the cockerel which wakes us up at crack of dawn, lovely little gekkos , doves and the odd tiny little humming bird visiting the flowers in the garden in front. There are two pools ,one a shallow kiddy pool, surrounded by sun loungers but it is too hot to stay out for too long. This place is described as kiddy friendly and it is very safe and quiet with not much going on but we haven't seen that many kids.

Our second evening meal was another short walk away to Daphne's- book a nice round table by the edge of the sea. Lovely meal- recommend the asparagus and pea soup, grilled tuna or barracuda.

The moon is upside down when viewed from this bit of the earth and looks so strange across the sea.

Our next major foray was to hire a taxi by the hour- 80 Barbadian $ per hour. This took us into the middle of the island to Orchid World which is a nice short stroll around a pretty garden. Once there we realized we had been before many years ago! Coming back we passed Gun Hill which we have previously also visited so didn't stop. Our end point was Rockley on the South coast which is more built up than the west with more bars and restaurants and a nicer beach. After a couple of cool beers in the Tiki bar we had lunch next door at Champers. This is a very attractive restaurant again overlooking the sea. Recommend the Coconut prawns with chili sauce followed by Barracuda- large portions and I wish I had had two starters. It is better value than other places too.

The last lunch out was at the Cliff Beach club, another lovely setting overlooking the sea. Recommend the octopus carpaccio or avocado salad and the spaghetti seafood with extra chilli. It was however the most expensive meal so far. In the evening


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



26th November 2017

Oistins fish fry
Tiz, if you get chance go to Oistins Fish Fry on Friday night. It’s fantastic!!! Cheap and cheerful but an amazing atmosphere. Head for George’s!!! We loved the reggae bus trip, we had to sit in the aisle on a crate ? if you like rum, we recommend the Mount Gay Rum Tour in Bridgetown. Enjoy ? Love Mark and Ali xx

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.207s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb