Pig Beach!!


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
February 23rd 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 24.1833, -76.4587

Just when I thought the iguanas were cool, I found swimming pigs!

These guys hang out on the beach all day, and each time a dinghy or boat approaches, they charge for the water in search of handouts! They swim right up to the side of your boat. Being in an inflatable dinghy means you must keep some distance. We were told their hoofs will pierce the dinghy as they try to climb on!

Staniel Cay was just around the point from Big Majors Spot, so a little further in the dinghy, and we were in town. We didn't walk around to the largest of the grocery stores, but we found everything that we needed between the Pink Store and the Blue Store. It was funny, they were side by side, but one would have tomatoes while the other had oranges. Broccoli at one, cauliflower at the other…etc. etc.

Staniel Cay Yacht Club is THE hangout here. (Literally. It's the only one!) But it is a busy place! Not only do they have marina facilities, they also have cottages, and they own Watermakers Airlines.

One more fun item on the Big Majors Spot / Staniel Cay agenda was snorkelling at Thunderball Grotto (as is the James Bond film). This was a really neat spot that we went to at low tide so that we were able to swim in, rather than dive below the surface to enter) and we were also there when the sun was high in the sky and was able to shine in through the hole at the top. There were hundreds of fish in here, and some mentionable include: Lion fish, Nassau Grouper, Lobster.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb