Known for Laundry and Free Water!


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
February 25th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 24.1005, -76.4024

Black Point Settlement is known to cruisers for two things: Laundry and Free RO Water (Reverse Osmosis) Prior to being a cruiser myself, I did not realize how excited I would get about these things!

So before we even arrived, I was excited about doing laundry and filing up the water tanks! Once I got here, we found the many other little things that make Black Point a wonderful place, like...

- Scorpio's which served up a great "Cruiser's" BBQ the first night we were here.
- Lorraine's which serves up great bahamian home cooking.
- Ida (who owns the laundromat and will do you laundry for you if you want) also provides hot showers. $4.00 for 8 minutes of wonderfully hot water!
- Ida also cooks: 6 Conch Fritters for $1.00, Beef and Chicken Patties at $2.00 each
- Ida also cuts hair
- Ida, Lorraine, and Scorpio's all provide free wifi

So, you see, Ida is a real entrepreneur! The rest of the island, like Ida, cater to the cruisers and make everyone feel very welcome. It's a great community.

While I did laundry, Tony did trips back and forth in the dinghy to fill our water tanks. It only took 25 gallons to fill our tanks! That means that we have only used 25 gallons of water since Miami (Coconut Grove). (Although that includes one week of being at the dock in Bimini and using their showers on shore) Considering we have a total of 80 gallons on board, I think I can now start to use a bit more…but I'm awfully proud of the fact that we have managed our water supply so well!

We will continue to catch rainwater when we can. To be honest, we hardly get any rain. It's been sunny for two full weeks - and for two weeks before that! It's true. It really IS better in the Bahamas!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb