HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS AND A SAIL PAST HAITI--Tuesday and Wednesday, November 19-20, 2013


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS AND ONE DAY AT SEA PASSING HAITI—Tuesday and Wednesday, November 19-20, 2013



Half Moon Cay--I woke up when the ship dropped anchor this morning. This small island in the Bahamas is owned and operated by Holland America Cruise lines. Valerie’s shoulder was bothering her this morning so decided to first soak in a hot tub before disembarking the ship.

Tendered to shore with Christina and Paul about 10:30 and then walked up a path to the information desk. The information we had gotten on-line said that there was a nature trail that went out to a bird sanctuary and we thought that would be a good thing to look into. The woman at the desk said that storms had decimated the bird sanctuary but that there was still a nature trail and pointed up the hill. This was also the direction of the Bar-B-Q put on by the cruise line so the 4 of us walked up the path that was in full sun.

After walking just that far we were really uncomfortable in the heat and decided to cool off and drink some of the water and lemonade they were offering under the pavilions. Even though it was early, we finally decided to have lunch and not walk much more than what we had to. While we were cooling off several bananaquits flew around in and on the shrubbery and picnic tables. They are a pretty little yellow bird about the size of a wren. We also saw a couple of tropical mockingbirds and heard several others that we couldn’t spot as, unlike the ones at home, these mockingbirds hung out in the dense foliage and not on the top of the roofs or other high points in the yard. Lunch was hot dogs and hamburgers, chicken breasts, corn on the cob, several kinds of salads, fruit and brownies.

Lots of banty-type chickens running around. Several hens had only one chick. Also a good number of small ground doves under the scrubs and picnic tables. Valerie and I took a tender back by 1:30 and Paul and Christina stayed and walked down to the fine sandy beach. That is what most of the people came ashore to do, but that is not my idea of a good time.

Met up with Paul and Christina for dinner at 6:30, but after just a brief time there Christina got really sea sick so Valerie and she left to find the doctor to get some meds. We all called it an early night.



At Sea passing by Haiti in Atlantic time zone so changed clocks and lost an hour. I awoke at the regular time and we went up to breakfast. Valerie had eggs benedict with both spinach and lox and I had a bowl of my usual cream of wheat but added 2 blueberry muffins. We then went up to the pool area and Valerie had another whirlpool treatment, which seems to help the pain in her shoulder. While she was doing that, I read and watched them set up an elaborate display of bread baked in various shapes. This was for a satay lunch and we picked up some nibbles and took them into the observation deck to eat while we watched the ship go by Haiti. A group of people were planning team trivia around us and the first question was “In what country can you find the city of Troy?” Well, since we had just toured there, we knew that answer. We didn’t know that polar bear skin is black, however.

This side of the island of Haiti that we could see, goes straight up from the sea to mountains with very little flat land to put communities on. Passed only 2-3 villages and saw no land under cultivation so the people must live off the sea. A good number of small boats were out between the land and us and most had two men in them. They seemed to be netting the fish instead of using poles.

Went to lunch and had a very good meal of leg of lamb with mint jelly of course. Afterwards, we went back to our cabin and relaxed until time for dinner. Since it was “formal” in the dining hall we had dinner in the Lido Lounge with the other people who didn’t wish to dress up in tux and fancy gown. Valerie and I found the last two seats for the evening song and dance show. Paul and Christina went on to find something else to do. The show was ok, but not spectacular.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb