Siem reap day 2


Advertisement
Asia
April 15th 2012
Published: April 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up at 8am after a great sleep, and quickly headed down for brekky. Was yummy brekky, buffet style. We had eggs, ham, toast, tomato and croissants. After that we met song who took us to the Angkor wat. It was very very busy driving there today, there does not seem to be any road rules here lol but it all seems to work. Song dropped us off and beg walked in to the temples. There were the cutest lil monkeys on the way eating bananas, tiny baby ones, adorable. TheAngkor wat is really hard to describe but it is enormous. It truly is amazing and you can't help but be in awe a lil while there. We got some great photos there, of the Angkor wat, people, children, monks, I can't wait to see them on a bigger screen.

It was very very very hot there, especially seeming there is a lot of walking, stairs (steep like ladders) so you are climbing and scrambling around everywhere. We def worked off our brekky haha. We headed back after a couple of hours there as we had booked a trip to Tonle lake this afternoon for sunset cruise.

We relaxed in the air con for a bit, then I wandered down the road to find us some lunch. Found a lil place and ordered chicken rolls, I also bought the book the girl in the picture. Which is the famous photo of the lil girl running naked in Vietnam war, can't wait to start it and it cost a huge $4!

We were picked up at 330 for our Tara boat cruise. There was another guy in the bus from Canada, but who was currently living in Bangkok. The tour guide wasquite funny and he chatted to us all the way to the boat. On the way, we drove out of town and saw how more rural Cambodians live. Houses are basically made from thatch, corregated iron, bamboo or whatever else they can acquire with four basically walls sometimes three and a roof. It's quite humbling to see how these beautiful people live, but are still smiling.

We arrived to the boat and it was chaos! There were long tail boats everywhere! We headed off towards the lake, and past many lean too type house which apparently are only there during the dry season for thefisherman. They move them in wet season. In the way to the big boat, we stopped at a crocodile farm and fish farm. Omg, as soon as we got off the boat a small boy no older than 3 came running at me with a snake around his neck!!!!!! I hate snakes and nearly sh*t myself!!!! Then two more appeared! I wa nervous as hell haha.there were crocodiles underneath us and kids with snakes, this is all on a floating shop. There were also, women with babies begging and it was apparent these people are very very poor.

We left there and finally arrived at the Tara boat, which is a huge boat moored in the middle of the lake, where we had dinner and watched the sunset. Absolutely beautiful and got some gorgeous photos of the sun setting. We chilled on the top deck of the boat, with dinner and a drink, watching the sky turn a beautiful shade ofpurple/pink. As it got darker, I realized we had to go back the same way we came! In a tiny lil long tail boat, in the dark, about a. 45 min ride. Can'tbelieve I didn't consider that when booking! Omg the ride back, was scary. The tide was low, there was no light, there are no houses, only the floating village we had left behind, so was pitch black. There was a lil light on the top which was used very sporadically, as it was run by battery. Never been so glad to get back to land. Gave the boat driver a tip, as was so happy we were back safely.

The drive back to the hotel was funny. The guide was making us laugh, and you could see many locals in the streets celebrating new year! The guide wanted us to go back to his house for new years party, but we came home as we are going to see the sunrise at Angkor wat in the morning, pick up 5 am!!!!

On that not I should go to bed.

Night night :-)

Ps: we found out today the army in the streets is notnormal everyday Cambodia, there are approx 60 000 Thai people here ATM for new year, so they are there because of That.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb