Bangkok - February 16-19, 2012


Advertisement
Asia
February 18th 2012
Published: February 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hell All!

It took me several days to get my barrings and muster the energy to blog! So here are the first three days of my adventure Ina nutshell.....

Day 1

The flights were pretty good and not nearly as long and uncomfortable as I originally expected! It maybe the luxury of china airlines ( thats sarcasm at MY best) or the two glasses or vino and a sleeping pill....you can make your own conclusion ;-) I was lucky to be sitting beside a girl from Vancouver who was on both my flights. We bonded over finding the smoking room in Taipei along with a few other excited smokers from our flight, all on our way to thailand! I arrived in Bangkok, grabbed a much needed Starbucks, yes Starbucks, and headed to the taxi que. I handed my printed out directions to my hotel to the taxi guy and off we went. Holy crazy traffic in Bangkok! But the A/C was welcomed as was his honest effort to communicate with me. My flight landed at 10:30 and by 1pm I was at my hotel, woot woot! First hiccup of my trip.....apparently they didn't have my reservation, which I had confirmed via email one week prior to my trip. But, again my over organization came I handy as I had printed out the confirmation! And viola, a room key!

The hotel is everything Emily had told me it was. My room is clean, spacious and comfy. The rooftop pool is to die for! As soon as I got to my room I put my swimsuite on, grabbed my book and headed to the pool! I was happier that a pig in shit I tell you! As I lay by the pool and read the realization that this dream had come to fruition was more than my overtired and sensory overloaded mind could take....I cried! Thank god no one else was up there yet! Im only on day 1 at this point and I'm over the moon!

My biggest fear and priority at this point is to feed myself! So I just bit the bullet and headed down the street to the food carts and stalls. I played it safe and stepped inside the closest one to my hotel and sat down only to find the menu was all in Thai! Feck! But thank god for Nuc! He overheard me trying to order something, using my phrase book, and stepped in to help. He ordered for me and we ate together. He even paid for my lunch! Awesome first impression of the Thai people. And for dinner I was even more adventurous and bought directly from the food carts; pad Thai and chicken on a stick! So far so good on the tummy front....keep your fingers crossed! Was exhausted and was asleep by 8pm

Day 2

As you can all imagine my sleeping pattern is all messed up and with the early bedtime I was up at 5am. My Mama is still trying to lock down the time difference and had been skyping me since 1 am Thai time. So I made several Skype calls and assured the fam I was A-OK.

I was feeling very confident and after mapping out a route to the Chao Phraya River I was off on foot to take the river taxi to the Grand Palace! Well......after finding myself in the back streets of Bangkok, very hot and tired of walking I aborted the mission, hailed a taxi and headed for koh San road! I needed a drink and some retail therapy!

Well I was not disappointed! Koh San was filled with backpackers just like me and tons of stalls selling anything and everything. I bought myself a new purse with elephants in it! then I sat my tired ass down at one of the many open air bars and ordered myself a BIG Chang beer, yummy! Did I mention I'm sweating like nobody's business? Yeah, it's that hot and humid here. I then ordered some coconut curry with rice. Well I wasn't alone for too long. Everyone here is so friendly and I was summoned by a table of backpackers and drank my faceoff for the next 7 hours with the guys! I was given the lowdown on everyone's journies and some good advice.

Ahhhh second hiccup of the trip.....my wallet was stolen, as was 2 other people's at our table and a guy from a few tables over. this apparently, is just another part of Thailand or more specifically Koh San Road. But unlike the other seasoned travelers at my table I had everything on me! Grrrrrr! Passport and all. After i cried and made a trip to the police station with the other unfortunet ppl who were robbed I was bought another beer, a shot of tequila, a pack of smokes and escorted back to my hotel. All paid for by them. So generous! By the time I got back to m hotel to cancel my credit card, it had already been maxed out! These Thai thieves waste no time at all! At the end of the day I have learned this is just another part of backpacking! So it is off the the Canadian Embassy as soon as I arrive in Chiang Mai on Monday to get another passport.

Day 3

After my ordeal from yesterday I decided to chill by the pool and read today. I want to take advantage of the rooftopbool while I can. It has beenSao relaxing to just chill out.

I'm off to Chiang Mai tomorrow evening and will post another entry as soon as I have some more adventures to relay!

Chao from Bangkok! Love and miss you all!

Advertisement



18th February 2012

awesome!!
Keep writing I love it.. wow awesome stuff already!! whoa about the wallet..shit! boooo.. but you got the right attitude xoox miss you
20th February 2012

Safe in Chang Mai! Yeah!
Saw your FB entry and know you arrived safely in Chang Mai. I am off to Grammees to head to the Florida Keys. Skyp us as often as you can and text too. I have unlimited texting to US. We miss you and are so happy you are on this adventure. Love and hugs to you, mom.

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb