A camel safari.. worth freaking!


Advertisement
Asia
January 6th 2012
Published: January 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We find ourselves in the the desert capital of India, Rajasthan, in the beautiful city of Jaisalmer which smells of fresh urine and milk in the mornings and by dusk smells of fragrant insense and charcoal. The city is overlooked by an enormous fort that dates back to the 14th century. Inside you will find hidden bazaars and every man and his dog trying to convince you his price is the best!! Lucky for Dane or I would be broke!



Apart from the arid landscape and the unforgivable night temperatures the desert city holds itself high in the area of camel safari's. We become enticed and decide we would like to venture into the desert and ride camels- sleeping under the open sky in 3 degree weather.

We arrive via jeep with real Rajasthanian men- dark skinned turban in tact and attitudes even a sheep would not disobey. On arrival we are greeted like kings and queens. 'Come here mrs, this is your camel', the boy no older then 8 begins to tell me.

It must be noted, this tour consisted of over 30 people to 30 camels but somehow we becam royalty and ventured on our own private tour with 8 year olds. The desert slowly erodes from rock to dunes as we pass the English wine shop (because there is no other kind) and I begin to softly say to Dane- "i think we are going to die! Where is everyone else!" My neurotic mind is eased when we see the group again..

Hot sun and kingfisher beer.. I don't think theres is a better combination... I will say this though foreigners are charged excessively from people in certain places around India and this was the case in the desert.

We set up camp which entails a blanket and a camp fire (made by Dane) in the sand as we watch the sunset over the horizon.. it truely is a splendid experience however, it was quite hazy in the Indian smog but the sunrise was something worth waiting for.

The end of our trip saw a not so happy turn.. the boys taking us for our 'private tour' were still somewhat unhappy with the trip we produced.. not that its compulsory... so this sort of dampened the end when the little boy name Daniel wouldn't talk to us... fair game as we drove away in the jeep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb