Getting started


Advertisement
Asia
November 4th 2011
Published: November 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well we made it! This entry is going to be longer bc well its my first day!
First let me say that Asiana Airlines is by the far the best airline ever! Even in travel class, as they call it, the seat are wide and the leg room is ample... It's still economy but it's more than you would normally get. Food is also amazing in flight and flight attendants were extremely attendant , HA!
We had a 4-5 ish hour layover in Seoul. If you're there and have time i highly recommend wandering around. They have a couple of cultural centers with arts and crafts (seriously) dress up photo opps, and games. It's a really great way to kill time in an airport, and only increased my desire to spend some time touring Korea!
We arrived in Bangkok around 1 am. We are staying at Tailek's House, which we found through airbnb.com. Bee ( our host, and owner of the flat) was waiting for us, and as soon as we threw our
Stuff down and put on some flip flops she offers to walk us to a near by 24 hour night market, close to the Huai Khwang stop on the subway where she taught us a valuable lesson in spice.
Being from Texas Kiki and I think we know a thing or two about spice, but Bee soon taught us otherwise. We said "bring it on, we love spice, yeah , yeah, real spicy!" So Bee orders her fav of some spicy mussel concoction, which, with one bite, was absolutely amazing. Of course me and the keeks wanted some spicy pork situation and then Bee insisted we get something not spicy (thank you Bee). Spicy pork ok... Spicy mussel..... OMG! 20 chile, too much!!! I literally thought I was going to pass out from how hot it was, and I'm pretty sure my face was numb at some point...
Anyway learned a valuable lesson in chiles.. 10, maybe 15 chile ok.. 20, NO!
Don't worry everyone survived, Bee left us to get a massage sometime around 4am (love it!) and kristen and I took the rest of the evening to stroll through the market. Sometime around 630 am we just decided to get ready for our day and stay awake.
We headed out to the train station to figure out how we could get to Chiangmai. Luckily the trains haven't been completely impeded by the floods so we will be able to make it up there, it will just take a bit longer. Currently only 2 trains a day, 830am and 645pm.
Next adventure was to check out an antique market in god knows where... We got directions to get on a bus .. Number 53 ... Well that ended up taking us around a heavily trafficked circle, so we got frustrated and decided to walk, to the middle of nowhere, eventually some seemingly helpful scammer comes up and tells us that" it's Buddha day and tuk tuk is 20 baht to take us to big, tall Buddha, and palace, and emerald Buddha." 20 baht.. Ok. So we get to a few temples big Buddha and all and that was nice, but then he beginnings the " factory" tours.. Meaning they take u to all these wholesale places until u buy something so they can get a commission from the companies. After a couple we finally just got out walked back, luckily we had a map..
Despite the slight annoyance with the tuk tuk we still had an awesome day!



Advertisement



5th November 2011

Sounds so amazing. Keep blogging, I feel like I'm there Or reading a really cool journal! Jana

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb