Krabi - who's crabby?


Advertisement
Asia
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

January 18, 2011

After an hour flight out of Bangkok we arrive in Krabi, and set off for Ao Nang. Krabi is a resort town of sorts, but also a main starting point for those wanting to go island hop to places like Ko Phi Phi. We joined up with a local guide who put us in some mini vans and we took a 45 min trip to his home town, which basically sits amongst mangroves and ocean. More of series of canals. We were all outfitted with a two person kayak and set off to explore the canals which included a series of caves as well as a large cave in which over 300 paintings/images could be seen on the walls and ceilings. A cave which the locales believe housed a non locale group of people that lived and died in this cave.

From there we headed to a local spring fed stream of sorts for a refreshing swim, then back to the hotel in Ao Nang for a little rest, laundry, email, and of course some more Chang. Neung our tour guide took us to a seafood restaurant that overlooked the bay. While it was quite dark, we could make out many boats scattered throughout the harbour. This was one of our better restaurant experiences, great view, great food. We were able to visit the seafood table and pick from a wide selection of fresh fish, prawns, crab, lobster, shellfish. I ended up with two huge prawns, a white snapper (head and tail included!) and a slab of barracuda. That combined with a side dish of mixed vegetables, white rice and a beer cost me a whopping $550 baht ($16cdn) Highway robbery! To have to pay so much only because we were in a tourist town.....Dave and Janet, also from Calgary laughed with me when we sat down after realizing how much seafood we had just ordered and how little it was going to cost. How can one not like these prices....and these were considered a bit pricey yet! Too funny.

Last night we met our new guides who will lead us for the next 3 days as we kayak on the ocean to a national park called Hong Island. Here we will spend two nights camping on the beaches. Because it is a protected island, most tourists only visit during the day and then have to leave. Apparently we have special permission to camp on the beach all by ourselves. It is a full moon our first night out, so we are planning on hosting our very own full moon party with drinks, yes they promised to have ice cold Chang beer and soda's for us. No power, no tourists, noone trying to sell trinkets or silk suits!! Bring on the Full Moon Rave! We are all getting a bit anxious as our tour is coming to a close, some people or continuing on south, some our meeting up with friends, others are going back to Bangkok with the rest of the group to finish the tour. As for me, my foot is swollen up like a club from my sprain. Thanks to our resident nurse and physiotherapist (Lauren and Mike) I have been unofficially perscribed some meds to bring the swelling down. So plan is to give the foot some rest, stop walking so much and chill on Ko Phi Phi. My next tour comes through Ko Phi Phi in about 4-5 days so I am hoping I can just hook up with them then. This will also give me a few days to scuba dive. Ko Phi Phi is said to be an excellent location for diving. I am getting excited to find out first hand.....

Happy full moon everyone back home!


G

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb