Bridge over the River Kwai


Advertisement
Asia
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Before heading back down south to just outside Bangkok we spent a couple of hours riding on elephants and rafting down a river on a bamboo raft. Apparently, the same location in which they shot some scenes for Ramboo 4.

Back onto another sleeper train for a all night trip south! Starting to like these night trains, feels like a big sleep over! Nothing like arriving at our next stop (sorry don't have the name in front of me) at 5am! Funny thing was I thought we would be the only one's walking around but there was quite a bit of activity taking place including a market filled with people. After dropping off our luggage is a few shared rooms we got cleaned up, ate breakfast and prepared for a day of biking around the town. We checked out some more Wats (temples) a sitting buddha a reclining buddha and some ruins. The City we were in was one of the former capitals of Thailand back in the 1400's before being destroyed by the Burmese.

I am going to jump from here to Ao Nang, only because I am having a memory lapse and can't remember what happened after that...stay tuned for my memory to come back:-)

One thing that did stand out was the day after we were in Kanchurburi (spelling??) the location of the Bridge over the River Kwai, made famous both in a movie and because many Prisoners of War during WWII were kept here by the Japanese forced to work on a 400km stretch of railway, including many bridges. A sad afternoon as we visited a museum and a cemetery and actual bridge and read about the 1000's of soldiers and workers died because of malnutrition and other ailments that come with working in poor conditions.


G

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb