Take Me To The River...


Advertisement
Asia
December 9th 2009
Published: December 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Varanasi was the next stop on the magical mystery/religious tour. Goodbye peaceful Buddha, hello colourful cacophany of Hindu deities and rituals. With the holy waters of the Ganges flowing past it, Varanasi's riverfront was an interesting venue for people watching, and all the spiritual activities that go with it. Pilgrims and locals come to the river to swim, worship, perform morning ablutions, do yoga, complete their laundry, play cricket, pray, do breathing exercises, fish, fly kites, cleanse and cremate their loved ones, to list a few of the activities that you can see in the course of a day. Varanasi was more than just a river. As one of the ancient cities of the world, the old city was a great place to wander the maze of narrow alleyways and temples, while avoiding the occasional bovine and its droppings.

Unfortunately the Ganges' water wasn't holy enough for the weakest among us, as a member of the party had to spend some quality time cleansing the many impurities out of their system. It wasn't very nicey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Holy Water Needs a Little HelpThe Holy Water Needs a Little Help
The Holy Water Needs a Little Help

Big Pharma has hit Varanasi.
Ganges GangGanges Gang
Ganges Gang

Off to school, but sadly, the early morning begins with henna, necklace, flower and candle sales.
Holy Cow!Holy Cow!
Holy Cow!

Water buffalo getting the royal bovine treatment and a little TLC.
Going for the Holy FishGoing for the Holy Fish
Going for the Holy Fish

Despite the fecal count and oxygen deprivation, they were still pulling fish out of the water; we stuck to the veggies.
Morning River TrafficMorning River Traffic
Morning River Traffic

Boatloads of pilgrims, gawkers and trinket sellers crowding the holy waters.
Riverside LaundryRiverside Laundry
Riverside Laundry

Ganges water...gets those hard to clean stains out.
Varanasi HarmonyVaranasi Harmony
Varanasi Harmony

Balancing the needs of the tourists with the lives of the locals.
Ghat's ItGhat's It
Ghat's It

One of the many ghats along the river.
Cremation GhatsCremation Ghats
Cremation Ghats

A quiet morning by the ghats. Note that canines and corporate advertising can't stay away from the sacred area.
Preparing for CremationsPreparing for Cremations
Preparing for Cremations

The wood is carefully weighed according to what a family can afford. The location of the ghat on the river also affects the price of cremation.
Hooray for BollywoodHooray for Bollywood
Hooray for Bollywood

Filling in as extras for the Bollywood release of 'Ganges with the Wind'
Junk Food UrgingJunk Food Urging
Junk Food Urging

Looking for that special bag of masala flavoured chips in the streets of Old Varanasi.
Ou est Sylvie?Ou est Sylvie?
Ou est Sylvie?

Getting ready for evening Puja show.
Ahhh...DavidAhhh...David
Ahhh...David

Yes, even the water had an effect on Sylvie.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb