Under a Bhodi Tree


Advertisement
Asia
December 7th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our spiritual journey continued on to Bodh Gaya, a sacred city in the state of Bihar and throughout the Buddhist world. It is where Buddha meditated under a bhodi tree until he reached Enlightenment. Buddha took three days and three nights to reach it; we tried unsuccessfully for two days. Perhaps it was the rain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Tree of EnlightenmentTree of Enlightenment
Tree of Enlightenment

Buddha actually spent three days and three nights here.
Mahobadhi TempleMahobadhi Temple
Mahobadhi Temple

This temple is the main temple complex of Bodh Gaya and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Thai MonasteryThai Monastery
Thai Monastery

Most East Asian countries have a monastery (in their own unique style of architecture) that you can visit here.
Royal Bhutanese TempleRoyal Bhutanese Temple
Royal Bhutanese Temple

We had hoped to spend the night here (seriously) but a group of pilgrims had just arrived so we got bumped.
Devoted PilgrimsDevoted Pilgrims
Devoted Pilgrims

Monks and devotees from all over the world make their way to Bodh Gaya, especially between November and January when the Dalai Lama and many other Buddhist monks living in the Himalaya come to Bodh Gaya to escape the cold.
Praying through rain or shinePraying through rain or shine
Praying through rain or shine

The bright colours you see on the prayer mats are actually plastic rain covers the monks, pilgrims and devotees use to cover their mats when not in use. Early morning and early evening is the most common prayer time although people come throughout the day.


Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb