Southward Bound


Advertisement
Asia
December 12th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Oxygenating the ChaiOxygenating the ChaiOxygenating the Chai

6:00 a.m. is pretty enticing when fresh, hot, spicy chai awaits. She was certainly a chai-rista extraordinaire.
Okay. So here's the skinny on why we have had so many blogs in so few days. We have finally made our way to the lovely World Heritage Site of Hampi, located 350 km east of Goa. With wonderfully preserved temples from the 15th and 16th centuries set in a picturesque boulder and river landscape, it's the perfect place to while away a few days. Plus, the guy next door has wickedly fast Internet.

Speaking of temples and whiling away....this particular blog brings us to Southern India in Tamil Nadu where we spent a few more days than anticipated in Chennai (see previous blog entry) followed by a short stint in Mammallapuram, a small beach town/fishing village on the southeast coast of India. After the hustle and bustle of Varanasi and Kolkata, it was a welcome change. The village is renowned for its generations of stone carvers who carved out an ancient capital (and all its temples) from local rocks and boulders. These skilled artisans continue to chip away at boulders to create statues and carvings for temples around the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Sidewalk PujaSidewalk Puja
Sidewalk Puja

Every morning brings a new work of art to bless the home.
The Watering HoleThe Watering Hole
The Watering Hole

Morning also means collecting fresh water the day.
Kayaks:  from North to SouthKayaks:  from North to South
Kayaks: from North to South

Notice the rope used to latch the boards together is the only thing keeping this boat afloat.
Kayak FishingKayak Fishing
Kayak Fishing

Hard to believe people use these fishing vessels in big open water. Hope they've taken their boat safety course.
"I think I got it  out.""I think I got it  out."
"I think I got it out."

Painstaking work indeed: unknotting the nets after an early morning of fishing.
Beach Bum BeefcakesBeach Bum Beefcakes
Beach Bum Beefcakes

Notice the impressive tan on the cow in the foreground. Clearly has been getting more beach time.
Dravidian TempleDravidian Temple
Dravidian Temple

This style of Hindu temple is unique and famous in the state of Tamil Nadu. It was the first of many we would see here.
Shore TempleShore Temple
Shore Temple

7th century temples still standing.
"How would this look in the dining room?""How would this look in the dining room?"
"How would this look in the dining room?"

Mammallapuram is famous for the works of art found in the temples and frescoes throughout the area. This one is over 5m high.
Rock StarsRock Stars
Rock Stars

The area is an obvious attraction for Indian tourists. The statues and carved buildings in the background were created from individual boulders. Quite impressive.
Banana Leaf Bhavan Banana Leaf Bhavan
Banana Leaf Bhavan

Taking biodegradable disposable dishware to a whole new level. French Canadians and French Canadian food aficionados take note: that little brown square at the top of the placemat: SUCRE A LA CREME!
More Circus TricksMore Circus Tricks
More Circus Tricks

"Are you ready for the pineapple now David?"


Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb