Sukhothai and Ayuthaya


Advertisement
Asia
November 8th 2009
Published: December 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We took a six hour coach journey from Chaing Mai to Sukhothai, we were really sorry to leave Chaing Mai as we had enjoyed it so much, but as always keen to move on.

Sukhothai is an ancient capital of Thailand, a very small town with very few westerns around, everything seems to close around ten at night, with no bars to be seen and very few places to eat, the night market is very strange and consists of just few food stalls! Luckily our guest house had a fantastic restaurant and played movies until late which we took advantage of!

We stayed in a bamboo hut which was really nice but loads of bugs around! The main attraction of Sukhothai is the historical park which has been described as the Angkor of Thailand. The historic park is far smaller than Angkor wat in Cambodia but many of the ruins are very impressive. We hired a motor bike to drive our way around the ruins; we then spent the rest of the day on the bike having fun!

The following day we took a coach journey to Ayuthaya which like Sukhothai is also an historic town, Ayuthaya is surrounded by a large mote inside the mote is the small town surrounded by ruins. By the time we had reached Ayuthaya we were ruined out!! However we rented bikes and cycled our way around the town we later took crazy Tony's (the owner of our guest house) boat trip around the mote, which was no more than a long tail boat which stopped at sights of interest along the way. I actually think it was crazy Tony's way of making a few extra pounds and sold it to us as the main attraction in town! We were even more ruined out by the end of that. Never the less Ayuthaya is a pretty, but small town with many elephants wondering around! Other than Tony’s boat cruise and the ruins there is little else to do so we took of for Phuket the following day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb