Vladivostok - Irkutsk


Advertisement
Asia
October 19th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Harbin to Suifenhi Vladivostok stop over Skovouodino Irkust, Lake Bikal

6 oct
Had no difficulty purchasing the Ticket to Suinenhi, overnight hrs $24, third class middle bunk. Slept much of the way; arrived about 8 am, station and ticket windows. Could not get a ticket; my Chinese must be getting worse. At the second travel agency met Lee, Jong, 25 born in V. is Chinese on Russian passport. He, I thought offered to let me travel with him for $35. Sounded like a good idea to me. Several taxi rides and lunch on him. I purchased my own Bus ticket, 14 hrs $10, plus another $10 on the Russian side. Cleared immigration/customs no problems, unless your the person behind the idiot who tried to clear customs with out his luggage. I had to go back and took cuts in line. The agent just looked at me like I was so stupid I could not be trying to pull anything and just sent me on with a terse "GO .. go". Enjoyed the visit with Jong. On arrival at 9:00p he gave me some help with a cab, $12, in the gated security area. I wanted to settle up with Jong, he was having nothing to do with that; he had meant the trip was was going to cost $30. And flatly refused any offer of money ... thanked him profusely.
7, 8 9 oct Vladivostok on to Skovouodino
Up early the next morning, the included breakfast buffet was excelent, pocketed a hard-boiled egg and yogurt for the train. Almost passed up on the rice and oatmeal gruel; hey it turned out to be good with a pat of butter and jelly on it. Off to by the Russian SIM card and an electrical plug adapter. Off to buy a SIM card and electrical adapter. Was refused the SIM card by two dealers because the 72 hr registration on my passport was not yet complete. Almost bought a card from a kid on the street but as the deal progressed it did not sound so good out about $16 on the miscommunication. Ended up with a dealer who would sell. The card is free and you add minutes $16 but don't know how may and then there will be international and roaming charges but it works so that good, unused/expired cards numbers go back into the pool. After Chinese shopping training, had the guy show me how it work ,, had to use his phone because I had just purchased my charger and phone not yet charged. Worked fine on his. Late on mine, no good, next day go back and he gives me a dialing code that needs to be used in V. no where else it seems. Works fine. Went to the Submarine museum $3 interesting but you don't get see as many rooms on this as on other I have been on( San Francisco, Chicago, Bollix, Honolulu, Bremen Haven). And a Church or two. Diner at a stall, $6 for three of us S, the surly and Alexander the seaman in training at the Institute. I bought dinner but would not buy Vodka. That did not slow them down. After exchanging gifts we parted ways.

Next day off to the train station to get ticket to S, 2 nights on train $51, can now recognize Information sign in Cyrillic. Standing in line, it turns out it the right window, Vasenko, navigator/seaman has been everywhere and speaks English like an native. spots me an a American and strikes up a conversation, but the time we get to the window we are friends, he changes is ticket plan from 2nd class and joins me in 3rd class. We spent the afternoon walking the city and seeing the University, another Church and 2 museums a beer at Chicago and back to the station. Visited most of the night with V and Kira, English speakers and numerous interested friends in the carriage. We parted ways at Khabarovsk. When I arrived early the next morning Skovorodino, could not find a hotel, resting room at station were either full of just not available slept/waited several in the upstairs waiting room. Breakfast $3, bought ticket to Irkutsk, two nights $57. Had planned to connect with the BAM, to complicated and connections could be bad at the northern stop.

Arrived about 4am, planned hotel was shut up tight, back to the train station taxi round trip $20. Resting rooms full but paid $ to sleep in the resting couch lounge, at first light, about 8am, walked to the Downtown Irkutsk Hostel $16/night. Neat place, shower, kxn helpful friendly staff, english speaking. Spent two day seeing the sites in the city, statues, churches and museum $3 and this one had english titles. Neat very walkable city. like it here. Made arrangements, through the hostel, for a side trip to Lake Baikal's Olkhon Island $20 bus fare each way, room at Nikita's Homestead with three meals and banya $26/night. Met Leon (holland), Edward(canada), Alaise(italy) the Fins (findland of course).. and may others.... After extensive discussion about swimming in the lake, $free, decided to pass on that. Did a van tour of the island, 6hrs $15, saw deer, pheasants, groundhog, lots of birds. No seals. Must have been to cold, my stupid looking blue hat did not look so silly when placed in the contest of -10F in a 35 mile an hour wind. With the layers I had on the cold was not an issue except on my cheeks which were exposed. Fantastic trip well worth the money... except the disagreement with the return driver.. he did not drop us where we expected... oh well ..



Have purchased the ticket, 3 days $89, to Yekaterinburg. leave in three hours... 19 oct 2009

Advertisement



19th October 2009

We read with interest your blog and are very happy to take this trip vicariously thru you!
27th October 2009

news from home
Becky, thanks for the updates .... could not get to the church news letter ... may try again....

Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb