Irkutsk - Yekaterinburg


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Siberia » Irkutsk
October 24th 2009
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post


Irkutsk to Yekaterinburg
Packed and on the train shared open third class compartment with Alexander, @x Russian born in Kazakhstan, some sort of police work. and Licka 20? headed to Novosibirsk. No English, but it developed with time, and still no Russian on my side. Starting to recognize the sound of some words like "harashaw" good fine, all is well. Visited several hours and got off at stations where the stops were more than 20 minutes, as things progress it turn out I was the "iguana" a common bond between them, their project because they had not met before. Some where along the way ( hey, the blog name ) we were joined by Daniel, mid 20 automotive for VW returning from work assignment in Beijing, a real player it turns out, I hope he reads this.He was also getting off in N. Alexander and I almost missed getting back on the train because goodbye took longer than expected and platform 3 was harder to find than anticipated... we made it just in the nick of time. In the goodbye process Daniel asked me give his email address to the girls in the next stall with a backpack. No problem, spotter her immediately and told her about Dan request.... Dan who turns out he had just spotted her getting on the train and being the player he is asked me to be the go between. In the process of all this, Linea started talking in Russian to my new friends; whoa! I was impress ed with her Russian skill and said as much. to which she responded ... "what the hell they should be I am Russian and teach English. I pretty sure my jaw actually dropped. She is a product of the Language institute in Irkutsk and lots of hard work. Continued visiting with the group, Alexander studio appt in Moscow runs $850/mo not rubbles. The plumber explained in a response to talk about Polish labors in EU, the Irish and said they were good be cause they show for work and are not drunk, i may need to check with Mary in Chicago about that, that if your a professional you can do the job drunk and the electrician agreed. Linea had not gotten the Fulbright Scholarship she had applied for. I went to bed they continued to visit for God know how long... In the morning I asked what her "plan B" was ... stumped her there, we talked and worked a little on one shes has since emailed me and we are meeting in Moscow for further discussion... A story teller in the next stall joined us before I got off in Yekaterinburg and with folded paper that she amazingly transformed to a story birthday, man, the devil, and demise it was fun for all of us.

Arrived Yekaterinburg stayed at the Bolshoi (Big) Hotel, $27/night and old style soviet hotel with key control on the floor, modest buffet breakfast included booked for three nights. Room on the forth floor, toilet at end of hall, half a block it really is a big hotel, shower in the basement. The lady who did the laundry could have kept up with Sis Kennedy, Barbara's mother... cleanest clothes ever... Went to the Romanov death site now a large Church. Mailed a postcard, or at least i think i did... we will see... won't try that again.
The Afghan war memorial a most profoundly sad experience to view the statue. i have never seen a piece of art that conveys so much emotion. Felt particularly sad to know of our funding of the war. Went back several time. Thought it would be lit at night; perhaps just as well, pictures i have seen of it just don't do it justice.

While at an internet site, could smell fried chicken, decided to have dinner there when I finished. ..ordering not so hard.... pointed to pictures on the wall and then wrote the price of the item i wanted on scrap of paper .. on the first bite ... almost said out loud this could give KFC a run for it's money.... upon closer examination the there was a small KFC not logo stuff like in China. ? Coke, not Pepsi was being served.

Purchased a ticket for Moscow train 065, $81: 31 hrs, picked my departure and arrival times .. . it getting easier to read there schedule boards was able to write everything out in Cyrillic and got through the purchase process faster than a Russian. Have figured out how the platform systems work .. Moscow, here I come ready or not.... with help from Russian friends on from the train, they are on their way to Egypt. navigated the trains station and the Metro .... bought my own metro, 10 ride ticket, with them ended having to go back one station because I did not know the difference between a stop and a line cross over.. . but to find the Godzilla Hostel, $28/night 3 night, had to rely on a nice young lady who had to call twice to find the place. ...

Advertisement



26th October 2009

Chicken.
I see you are still enjoying chicken. Do you pick the bones clean like in Vietnam?
26th October 2009

Keep on trainin'
Relieved and enjoying your journals, happy to know all is well. Your trip and traveling companions are so interesting. Thanks for letting us know how you are. No need to reply as I know these chances to email are far and few between. I am hoping you give a presentation when you are home.
27th October 2009

respond!
thanks jerian ... forgot there was a box for that.....
27th October 2009

a bone to pick
you bet ... except in Moscow ... smallest piece of chicken i could get was a half...

Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb