Xi'an


Advertisement
Asia
September 26th 2009
Published: September 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

MeMeMe

Cycling on the city walls!
Xi'an
Woops just realised I got the name of the hostel in shanghai wrong it was Hostel le tour, the one in Xi'an was called shuyuan and was one of the best hostels we stayed in. It was very central, offered a free coffee and beer each day and had a lovely restaurant upstairs and terracotta bar downstairs.

First thing we did in Xi'an was rent some bikes to do a cycle of the city walls, 100mins to do 15km, sounds like plenty of time but somehow we still ended up racing to the finish line! Not a whole pile to see really but a good experience all the same and would recommend it. We also hit the drum tower (literally - had to pay for the privilage though!) and the muslim quarter. Man that's a crazy spot, just this street unbelievably packed with stalls of all sorts, mostly cooking up some concoction (spell?) or other. Tummy was may west though so couldn't hack the smells (or sights in some instances) for long.

The obvious highlight of Xi'an wa the terracotta warriors, not what either of us was expecting. We'd a tour from the hostel booked so had a
killiankilliankillian

Whipping ass cycling the city walls!
guide take us though which is worthwhile. Three different pits and a small museum, they reckon there are 6000 warriors and so far only 2000 have been restored. Being there, seeing the film and then the pits really highlights the lenghts people will go to for an emperor. Although this was the obvious highlight, the hostel and the people we met made this place an extra hit, actually met an irish couple, mirium and denis, he' s and engineer and she's a primary teacher! Lots of others too, which proved for a good night!

Next stop Yangshou!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Drum towerDrum tower
Drum tower

Killian beating the drum.
Terracotta WarriorsTerracotta Warriors
Terracotta Warriors

There's definatly only one like this!
ChinglishChinglish
Chinglish

Check out the sign.
Pit 1Pit 1
Pit 1

crazy big.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb