Koh Samui and back to Bangkok


Advertisement
Asia
August 15th 2009
Published: August 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Paul enjoyed his birthday but the cake I had ordered him went horribly wrong! First Paul wanted to go to a different restaurant and I had to persuade him to stay at the planned one then after we had finished our meal the lights went off in the restaurant ready for the candles and happy birthday song but because there was such a string wind they could not light the candles. Everybody (including Paul) sat in silence thinking there had been a power cut but I could see the waiters desperately trying to light the candles. They had to give up and instead Paul was presented a birthday cake with unlit candles in the dark!! (Michael- We wrote you a special message on your b'day too)

We sadly left Phi Phi on Sunday 9th and got a ferry to Krabi and then a coach and another ferry to Koh Samui. The ferry crossing was very bumpy due to Typhoon Morakot which had caused unusual weather and tides in Phi Phi.

When we arrived in Koh Samui we headed to Laumi beach and looked around several resorts and finally picked a family run resort called Varinda which overlooked the sea. The weather was very different to the Western islands and we had five days of beautiful sunshine.
On our first day we played gold football and as the name suggests it is like crazy golf but kicking a football instead. Food has played a big part in this holiday and we enjoyed some lovely meals whilst in Koh Samui. We had planned to go on a cooking course but ran out of time. (I am sure my family will think the cookery school has had a lucky escape) We went on a jet ski and somehow managed to fall off and after a delayed reaction I suddenly realized I was in the middle of the sea and quickly climbed back on . Paul hired a jet ski on the last day. (I declined)

After a couple of days on the beach we were both ready to go exploring again so we hired a jeep for the day. Paul was the driver and I did a sterling job as navigator! We climbed a waterfall and visited several other tourist attractions around the island. In the evening we went to watch a Thai boxing competition. The locals place bets on the fights so the atmosphere was really good.

Yesterday we flew back to Bangkok and are staying in the same hotel as when we first arrived in Thailand. Last night we went to The Blue elephant restaurant and Paul had to borrow some jazzy trousers because we didn’t know that they had a dress code! Today we went to the floating market. Four local children came in our boat and they were delighted when we bought them a can of coke. We are going out for our last meal tonight and cocktails in one of the sky bars.

I am feeling very nervous about traveling solo in Oz. Arrrrrrrr! Next blog should hopefully be from Sunny Cairns. Missing home, family and friends lots but I have had a fantastic time in Thailand and hope to come back here again.

Love to all. xxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Photo 3Photo 3
Photo 3

Happy b'day to Michael too.
Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

Paul's birthday cake
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Playing in the waves
Photo 7Photo 7
Photo 7

View point in PhI Phi
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Tide finally goes out at Phi Phi beach
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Star fish (Hope you like this one Katy)
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

Long beach
Photo 15Photo 15
Photo 15

Bye bye long beach
Photo 21Photo 21
Photo 21

Varinda resort


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb