Pokhara to Tiger Tops but strike!


Advertisement
Asia
November 17th 2008
Published: November 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It has been a while since my last blog so I am not going to catch up in one go. Happy Birthday Roger.
Right after my last blog from Tiger Tops in Pokharan just to explain there is the main Tiger Tops in Chitwan but all their lodges share the same name. Anyhow after my last blog I showered and then we joined Anthony and Julia who were propping up the bar. Introduced myself to Nepali Gin which is very drinkable. Off to dinner and we had Meat Ballsn need I say more on that but Marcus showed his true Stoic colours with the wine list with a very drinkable Claret on the list at around Pds 12, two bottles went down rather well and made me forget the Balls!
Next morning up for an early Breakfast of Kedgeree and then off on another trek. Up into a nearby village. It was at this point we discovered we hadn't done the Royal Trekn which is rather easy but a much harder one which has stolen the same name!
Finished in time for a Nepali vegetarian lunch and an afternoon by the pool, only disturbed by some slightly sozzled Russians!

Dinner followed washed down by more of the excellent Claret, rather better being Pork Escalope and Lemon Tart, not for the last time.

Next morning an early start breakfast to make John C drool of eggs chips and beans and then off in a minbus to Chitwan.

A 5 hour drive through some spectacular scenery. Not much traffic but terrible roads. We stopped in a dirty town called Muglin.

We eventually arrived at Megauley Airport, having used an ATM in the nearby town.

Megauley Airport was were we had our picnic lunch, it is a grass strip with a small shelter with some comfortable armchairs. Managed to get some Gurkha Beer and happily ate and drank on the runway! Into a new bus to a river crossing where we got out and into a dugout canoe which took us over the river. Then into open Land Rovers to the tented Camp.

On arrival at this beautiful spot we were told to hurry and then all 4 of us got onto "tusker" a large elephant with magnificent tusks reaching to the ground. For two hours he burped and farted his way round the jungle frightening any animal within 500 metres! When not farting he was eating and would occasionally stop and tilt to one side making us all feel he was trying to turf us off. He is evidently known as a naughty Ele!

Back to camp and then to more Nepali Gin and beer and Pork with Lemon Tart! Washed down by a reasonable Aussie wine.

There being no electricity in the tented camp we returned to our tent which was very like the ones we used to stay in in Africa with a nice shower etc attached and proper beds.

Up the next morning and off to the river after breakfast, we went down stream in the canoe and saw several Crocs and birds, feathered I hasten to add!

Into Landrovers and we picked up part of the Murdoch Laing Group,(Gilly's friends) there had split into two and we picked up the keener walkers, well we arenot allowed to say that as they pretended to have walked the whole way. Well they told us that they weren't moving to the Tented Camp because there had been a riot and everyone had walked out. We denied this as all was normal when we left and we were accompanied by staff from the tented camp. We then had a minutes silence it being Remembrance Sunday in the Land Rover as we were about to cross a river. Rather military and it was led by one of Gilly's friends who was clearly military of some sort.

Got to the tented camp to find it rather deserted and for it to gradually emerge that yes everyone had resigned so we were being moved to the main camp.

Back to the tent and back everything up and off we went past the strikers to the main TT camp to find that the staff there had also all resigned.

After a period of not much happening signs of lunch being cooked by the Managers and then an attempt at an apology which lead cutting a long story short to us being moved to another Tiger Tops down the river.

Had a very nice lunch and then left the Murdoch Laings well settled into an afternoon of boozing, brandies already to the fore and stories growing about Rhino's Tigers and being held hostage.

An amusing journey downstream to Tharu Camp. Landed ashore from our canoes to be met by Ox Cart.

Well I will take you up to date tomorrow.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb