Royal Trek


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
November 8th 2008
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After the last blog we joined the Ussher's for Happy Hour which was very pleasant the bar is like a pub and my Martini nearly perfect! Dinner which was not buffet for once and thus I was able to order a proper curry which also went done very well.

Up relatively early nice breakfast and then checked out and were driven to the airport usual thing met by porters despite the fact that we had left most of our stuff in the Hotel. Through check in and then security and managed to buy hats and a bottle of water.

Boarded a bus for the Yeti Airlines plane and had a pleasant short flight to Pokhara. Very basic airport and once our luggage arrived were met at the exit by around 4 people and they took our bags and we followed. Ended up by a large bus and a whole crowd of Nepalis. The bus was already loaded on top with tons of stuff and we were then ushered on board much to the amusement of much larger groups who were getting into small minibuses!

Off up into the hills and we were dropped with our team which turned out to be a Sardar (leader) two Sherpas, a cook, three Cookboys and 6 porters for just 4 of us!! The Hoggs and Usshers on holiday!!!

the bus was unpacked and off they set and the we started up and up we went around 1,000 ft in the first cession, until we reached a small village and were taken up on to a walled area under some trees for lunch. Already the cook and his team were in action and the "table"was laid, well it was all on the ground. Eggs on toast, fried potatoes and various other goodies arrived about an hour after our arrival and then on up the hill to our first camp. Laid out in an old paddy field we were relieved to find that there was a shop which sold beer so after sorting ourselves out into our tents we went up for a short walk as if we hadn't done enough and found another camp nearlby with around 20 tents.

Well the beer went done very well as did our dinner of Onion Soup, mild chicken curry and fruit salad.

Off to bed early and slept fitfully everyone complaining that I snored too loudly!! Next morning woke up to the most glorious view one which has stayed with us ever since in different shapes and angles.

Breakfast was served which was an onion omelette and then the camp was acked up and the entourage set off at 8.00 for what turned out to be around 6 8 hours on the go. Up into the hills then into a jungle which was challenging as it was step and slippery. Climbed another 1,000 metres or so during the day but it was glorious scenery and fascinating when I wasn't concentrating on the next step or trying to stop hyperventilating!!

Lunch was served on a plateau French Toast and veggies then off again up a long flight of steps to the President 's Camp. We had by now met the other group which was composed of Swiss and they were campoing at the same spot but we were done by the beer shop and they up the hill.

Same routine shower on arrival tea and then supper which was a further three courses of really very nice food wwashed down by beer.

Again early to bed and then up for breakfast and off again there was a choice the short route taken but most people or the long which took us to a holy lake and up 1,472 steps. We chose the latter against my will!! Anyhow off we set and it was nice walking to begin with up quite high past a purported Tiger kill and on up into the mountains. By the time we reached the holy lake the girls had decided that the steps were too many and had found out there was a middle route. ANthony though was determined to go to the top and so I agreed to go with him. Wished SOlly a fond farewell I set off. Yes there are at least 1,472 steops and that is only the ascent. I made it and was rewarded by the most glorious views by this stage we had climbed to 8,500 feet or around 2,800 metres, I think we went up around 2,000 feet and down 4,000 feet that day to the lunch place where we were in a narrow gap in the trees with the kitchen staff below by a buffalo lake. Fairly easy descent to the camp site where we were on our own having left the Swiss behind!

Same routine with another delicious supper capped of by Roxy coffee which set us well on the way to bed!

Today we went off expecting to descend which we did for a while but then lo and behold off we went up again, but did eventually descend through a large group of students who wer eout picnicing with loud music and a lot of rather pretty girls. Lunch and then into another large bus to Pokhara where we changed to a land rover and up to the Tiger Mountain Lodge which is very nice we have our own "house". We where me tby the owner and it is all rather British you know old boy!!

Must go now as internet is expensive and I need to change for dinner!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb