That Great Wall is LONG


Advertisement
Asia
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are still in Beijing and continuing to visit as many of the historical relics we possibly can. We set out the morning of the 22nd and were determined to make it to the Great Wall without falling into the tourist scam and getting shuttled out there on a tour group. So we grabbed a map and jumped on a city bus... two transfers and three hours later we made it to Badaling and truly experienced my first Wonder of the World. We climbed onto the wall and hiked a few miles along it.. Rachel would have walked the entire thing if I didn't remind her it went on for 4,000 miles!

Yesterday we grabbed a taxi to the Summer Palace, a seasonal escape for the emperor normally trapped in the walls of his Forbidden City. This palace is HUGE! We spent half the day walking around the palace grounds, which encompasses an entire lake, several beautiful temples, trails snaking off into cypress trees, and arching marble bridges. On the way back into Central Beijing we visited the Lama Temple, which is the oldest Tibetan Buddhist temple in existence (outside of Tibet, of course). I will have to admit that I have offricially seen the largest Buddha statue that I could possibly imagine! The last hall of the temple housed a giant golden buddha standing up well over 100 feet, I wish I could show you but pictures were not permitted and would not do it any justice.

We have two days left in Beijing than its off to Xi'an and Shanghai before I jump over to SE Asia and start my journeys with Pat!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th June 2007

Holy Shit!!
Holy crap you really ARE in China... OH WOW GNARLY!!
24th June 2007

WOOHOO
Dude, that's one big ass wall. You guys are awesome for not joining the lame tour group scene. Although, my mom's stories about going on the 'Dam tour' on the 'Dam tour bus' to see the 'Dam workers' and shop at the 'Dam gift shop' were pretty funny. Anyway, thanks for the shout out. And in the words of Abbie Hoffman, I'll see you in "Viet F#@*ING Nam!!!"

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb