Day 27: Down up pedals, down up down


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
April 18th 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 15.12, 108.81

Most exciting highlight of the day was that we were being moved out of the closet sized room of 109 in the cabin of three rooms, into the cabin that housed only a single room at 103 where you could actually walk around the end of the bed. We counted down the minutes until we could make the room swap. What a difference that 8 square metres makes. The new room was just what the doctor ordered and even included a table and stools, a safe, two ledges for the suitcases, the same expansive bathroom but with the added bonus of NO lemon essence smell AND super sized towels.

And now that the VIPS were gone, the two new locations where it WAS possible to swing a dead cat...or two"..... were ours - at no extra charge. Ahhhh, felt great to be out of the closet.

Huan was so excited about today's adventure. He had been out the previous day doing a reconnaissance trip finding all the paths without mud on them that would be suitable for "the ladies." Unfortunately, as he couldn't find a path that didn't require us to ride a mountain bike on the road with the buses, lorries, scooters and herds of marauding water buffalo, Loraine and I opted to give the Ho Chi Minh Trail a miss and let the "men" enjoy some "secret men's business." Huan pretended to be disappointed but was actually grinning from ear to ear. Now they could ride for 30 km instead of ten. Could take the ferry. Roll in the mud with the water buffaloes AND go fast.

Truth be known, Loraine and I were so excited about the new rooms we didn't want to leave them - the luxury of a table and a stool in the room was just too alluring. Add to that a mini bar, ice and air conditioning and an aversion to playing chicken on push bikes on the Ho Chi Minh Trail and we were set for two and a half hours of farm stay relaxation.

Sunscreen, insect spray, helmet and water all ticked off and we waved good bye to the back end of their bikes as they disappeared on their 30 km adventure for two and a half hours. And although they returned dripping in sweat all tales were sweet. Much to their "Glee" moment they did "pay the ferryman" and wibbled, wiggled and wobbled on the tiny craft that carried them and the bikes across the river, crossed bridges including the hanging bridge, visited Tram and Me villages, rode through the maleluca forests, the corn and peanut fields, caused a riot of distraction at the kindergarten, ventured into the rice paddy, travelled along the river and wallowed with the water buffaloes.

We have to make sense of the Ho Chi Minh Trail which seems omnipresent in Vietnam. Apparently it is everywhere. As the trail was discovered it was bombed during the war by the Americans. And each time it was bombed, the VC would diligently rebuild Trail as two new tendrils, resulting in this ever expanding interconnected series of trails that are left today. Still not quite sure but think the actual "start" is still a further 50 kms west.

Importantly though, despite Richard leading the way down the drive to the Ho Chi Minh Trail, once the ride began, not for one single moment did they manage to get in front of Huan. He was focussed on being número uno. In terms of the competitive stakes, they had met their match! Not bad though for two old blokes 60+. Huan is 42 and rides 30 kms a day!

They took a dip in the pool on return and that cured the immediate issue of the heat. Not sure what the cure is going to be for "bike butt" - the saddle certainly has left its mark.

My relaxation morning was not without its own dramas. Managed to catch and cut my finger in the back door and had to get out the first aid kit. Called for some ice which arrived in "quantity" so just had to raid the minibar. Every cloud does have a silver lining.

Huan organised a special lunch for us at the Dark Cave. He definitely wanted the ladies to "get out." It was a very thoughtful gesture and the banana leaf basket of "makings" was a hit. We created our own spring rolls (lucky we had that lesson on "Violet"😉 and watched the youngies fly overhead on the zipline into the water. It was an amazing blue and the lake at the mouth of the cave was filled with obstacle course options which all the backpackers were definitely enjoying.

It was almost like lunch with our very own live sporting show. LOR_RI even found ice cream drumsticks as dessert. Not bad for an impromptu activity.

An afternoon sleep was on the cards before the Happy Hour by the pool and the barman was certainly keen to impress and after just the first round of cocktails Loraine said her arms were floating. After three, think we were all levitating.

We were joined by the English couple Jane and John. Their story of Chay Lap and the VIPs was more interesting than ours. They had actually been bumped to another venue because despite their early booking, there was no room at the inn because of the VIPs.

We cancelled the excitement of our planned game of cards (Skipbo @AnthMindyIan) for laughs, shared tales and a touch of politics over a leisurely dinner with the English travellers - definitely not the set menu!

Not sure what time we headed to bed but glad we were heading towards 103 rather than 109.

Might be warding off bike butt, sunburn of the nose and hairline and the after effects of one too many cocktails on the 9 hour drive to Hoi An tomorrow.

Steps: 4 027 (with 2 hours 30 minute bike ride for boys bringing total to 11 163)
Temperature: 36 degrees with 76% humidity

PS A travelbog aside: The toilet dramas continue for the Macs. I sat on the loo this morning and the toilet seat just slid backwards like a toboggan ride. I dialled zero for assistance and thought I had explained the problem. Think the staff from the Lorosa in Hanoi had called forward. The fixit man turned up with the biggest toilet plunger I have ever seen! Had to go back to the shed to retool. Needed a drill and some cleaning up time.

PPS Just an aside about the malaria tablets. Have no idea if the correlation is correct. But Mac and Loraine are constantly "overheating" and sweating up a storm. As if the humidity isn't already enough there is some suggestion that they are literally on fire and boiling as a side effect of the malaria tablets. Of course, they could just be "hot stuff." And Richard was certainly living proof of the increased sun sensitivity. After the bike ride - and despite repeated and lavish applications of sunscreen - his nose and hairline are lobster red!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



22nd April 2017

103 certainly looks 'roomy'!! No wonder you didn't want to leave it. Those boys are very adventurous - 30 km bike ride - very impressive....And the food - it just keeps coming, all so very delicious.....I think your taste buds will have
a big readjustment to make when you come back to Western food!....xxxx

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb