Day 7: Goodbye Vietnam and welcome to Cambodia


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
March 29th 2017
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.7983, 105.239

It was a day of false starts. Thought I would get ahead of the game and hit the shower early. Unfortunately, at 5 am there was no hot water. By 6 am all was flowing well and and decisions around breakfast were the biggest challenge of the day.

The tender boats were back for us for an 8.45 start and our first visit was to Evergreen Island. Again, Tang waved his yellow sign and took us door to door through the farming village, greeting all the locals and providing us with a running commentary. Nestled side by side the stilt houses are a reflection of the wealth or poverty of the family. Electricity delivers the essentials and no matter what the house, the large flat screen TV holds prominent position. The fields are set out in neat rows, women seem to be the only people working, young children are calling hello, babies are swung in hammocks and dogs emit a low grumble. Mac of course threw himself in front of LO_Ri as we are the only ones with rabies protection!

Each house is connected to a government sponsored septic tank and the smell from these compulsory add-ons was easily confused with the smell coming from the giant clay pots. Filled with rotting fish, salt and water these treasures ferment the essential fish sauce that flavours every meal.

The children attend school either in the morning or in the afternoon. There is a small school in the village but the middle school children have to leave the island. Although compulsory, the requirement for children to attend school is not enforced, hence lots of children playing, wandering around or sitting in doorways.

The second part of the excursion was a visit back to the mainland to Tan Chau. The group traversed the reclaimed swamp and found the rattan mat making factory. I can't believe we were permitted to walk through this space. Talk about WHS issues. There was an uneven row of moving and clanging machinery parts and the group squeezed down the aisle of the workshop. Women were hand feeding each coloured piece of straw into the loom to complete the intricate woven patterns. The bundles of straw were hand dyed by a young woman dipping sheaths of straw into boiling water. Children roamed and played in the workspace and were part of the escort across the lane way to the sales area.

A quick head count, and we were met by the rickshaw drivers and hurtled along the street, knees somehow folded up under our chins to visit the silk factory. Tang introduced us to the process, took as through to the workshop to see the working looms and then supervised the shopping excursion.

And of course, predictably, the sweat was dripping off us. The return rickshaw ride along the waterfront provided a welcome relief from the heat and the on board shower was an essential.

Into the dining room to experience THE BEST PORK BELLY EVER, before three of us headed to the spa. Richard sat this one out. Loraine opted for the aroma therapy massage, Mac took the deep tissue option and for the first time in my life I had a facial. Know that there were relieved oohs and aaahs from each of the massage treatment rooms and knots and crinks were sorted and my aloe vera masque was the bees knees. Sure I looked 20 years younger.

The afternoon was rounded out with a cooking and fruit carving demonstration and an ice cream party. And yes, because we can .... we did.

Must say that we were anchored in the middle of the Mekong for some time. No doubt, Mr Long was working his magic with our passports and photos to procure visas for us as this was the border crossing to Cambodia.

Dinner was a little special tonight. We joined Sue for a celebration of her 50th in the Indochina Restaurant. All the cuisine on the AMA Lotus has been fabulous but this is another 'tasting' menu in an intimate setting. Each dish was delicately prepared and carefully presented and from the mackerel paper rolls, through to the tiger prawns, pork belly, roasted duck and grilled sirloin there wasn't a single course that didn't impress as a taste sensation. Plenty of wine and lots of laughs with great company and of course a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday.

Think there may have been one or two drinks too many poured into my balloon brandy glass, but we only had to make it down one hallway and up a single flight of stairs.

Lights out on another fabulous day as we were welcomed, quietly, into Cambodia.

PS The internet is frustrating - amazing how we take things for granted. We kept revisiting the Saigon Lounge through the day and evening with little success. I think the blog has gone in bits - maybe the text with some of the pictures. Have kept to the "collage" so that there are fewer images.

Steps: 8 319
Temperature: 38 degrees


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



30th March 2017

Loving it! Your tales have so much 'colour' I feel I'm right there with youMust say the Vegemite sits well with me - that's exactly what I take/eat when I venture to Eastern countries.But I always lose weight on those trips. Not so sure if
that may be the case after your journey?
30th April 2017

More adventures, more experiences, more drinkies & still more food!!!!!! We are enjoying all this with you...xxx

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0787s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb