Life in the Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
November 3rd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 10.0446, 106.397

A 2 hour drive was required before we got up to the Mekong Delta, but it was interesting passing through the paddy fields with the tombs of ancestors stuck in the middle. The drive was faster than it used to be as a motorway had opened which did not allow motorbikes.

Once at our destination which was a branch of the Cai Be River, we boarded a local long boat and passed by the floating market and also by a 19th century Catholic church- a left over from French rule. We sailed down several small canals lined by floating vegetation and palms and other lush forest. We hopped out at a house which was built in 1856 by a wealthy Viet family and is now owned by a 90 year old lady who was sat on one of the hard wooden beds. It contained a beautiful ebony cabinet which was inlaid by mother of pearl. This acts as a family shrine and every family strives to have one even though not so grand. They believe in venerating the ancestors and have many ritual family gatherings to honour the dead. We also took a walk around her garden and saw some interesting fruit trees as well as the tombs of the ancestors in the bottom of the garden. We also toured a local town house in which rice paper was being made, which was fascinating to watch. Another area showed how to make popped rice and other sweet treats, all of which we tried.

Back on the river we were taken for lunch at a local restaurant- dragon ball and elephant ear fish, which doesn't sound too good but in fact it was all delicious!

We had to do the 2 hour trip back to the ship but I was glad we had been to see this bit of the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb