Good morning Vietnam!!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam
June 21st 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So this is Kellie & Dee's first blog entry so hopefully we dont end up deleting the whole thing while Cillian sleeps soundly upstairs!! We're leaving Vietnam in the morning for Bangkok so we thought we would put up some Vietnam photos and tell you a bit about our adventures here. So we landed in Halong City, not a very nice place to begin but it got better. We went for a cruise along the bay for 3 days in our boat and met some great people along the way. Visted some caves, did some more trekking, myself and dee braved the Kyaking and Cillian and Dee jumped from the deck of the boat into the water while I feebily attempted to get a photo!! Visted Catba island, found an amazing pool there in the 40+degree heat and headed to Hanoi with the tour. Hanoi is....crazy in a word! Motorbikes everywhere but our time there was very short so we didnt get to see too much of it. On to Hue which was a chilled out little walled town with alot of army relics left around from the war. Went on to Hoi An then which was our favourite, stayed there nearly a week! Tailors at every corner, and freee rum & coke for an hour everynight...what more could you ask for...besides an amazing beach closeby! Myself and Dee went to a very old religious site called My Son which was very interesting. It got bombed by the Americans during the war but its compared to Ankor Wat so it was nice to see it seeing as we wont be making Cambodia. A few days then in Nha Trang a beach resort where we were hassled non-stop for "motos" and books so we moved on swiftly to Ho Chi Minh/Saigon where we are now with millions of motorbikes lining the streets. Crossing the road in Vietnam is quite an experience, with "motos" coming in every direction and no traffic lights, the safecross code is out the window! you just cross slowly, close your eyes and hope for the best! wish we had gotten it on video the first time, myself and Dee screaming holding each others hands!!
While in Nha Trang we went for a day trip with Kat & Jamie to 'Yang Bay' where there were lovely waterfalls. We followed Jamie...an expert rock climber across the waterfall only to find ourselves stranded on a rock in the middle of the stream with a fast current moving each side! Lukily we made it across in one piece..was touch and go for a while! We saw 4 little bear cubs and lots of big bears which were a little scary.
Our transport from North to South Vietnam has been all by bus, the majority of which have been overnight. If you have not experienced this....I dont know how to describe it....squashed up in a little 'bed' with a bus full of fellow travellers wishing the night away! Thankfully for us, we had a years supply of sleeping tablets..thanks Dee!....so we survived!
All is all it has been quite an experience here and one which we definately will never want to forget. Beautiful country, and once you get used to the people, they're actually pretty nice...
Dee, Kellie & Cillian xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 128, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb