The Great Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
June 21st 2009
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Better late than never....our trip to the Great Wall. We picked the worst day to climb as the fog was so thick you can hardly see the views at all especially in the photos but we may aswell put up some of the photos anyway! As we were walking down the wall we got stopped a large number of times by people looking for photos with us...our ghostly white skin seemed to be more of an attraction than the Great Wall to some!!
It ended up being a very productive day as we went to the 'jade' factory where they showed us around the factory...a bit like Waterford Crystal if any of you were ever there...went on to a copper vase making factory which was more like a sweat factory, a bit disturbing and it was only a small part of it we saw. The vases take weeks and weeks to make and are sold for so little you can only imagine how little the people working there get paid. We saw how silk is made, from the little silk worm to the silk we know, facinating! According to chinese legend if you eat the silk worm you live forever. We told her we had good genes so it was ok!! Went to a little tea house then before home to sample all the different types of tea which was lovely.
We had been told in Beijing by two art students what years we were born in. I was born the year of the pig, Dee the year of the rat, and cillian the year of the ox! We got some pictures with our beloved animals in the copper factory...
The Pig, the rat & the Ox xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



22nd June 2009

could you bring some of those silk worms home to me?!x

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb