Panda Time


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 14th 2009
Published: June 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The main reason I think Kellie came to China was a long obsession with Pandas. When we arrived in Chengdu she was literally bubbling with excitement and as the day approached when we visited the panda sanctuary she finally got her fix of Giant Panda's, and yes there is a difference between Panda's and Giant Pandas as we learned on the day. Panda refers to the small fox like red Panda and if you mix them up your in trouble as this is China's most precious animal and held in very high esteem. The girls had a very different view of the Sanctuary than I did, while they felt it was really nice how close we could get to them and how well kept they were. I thought it was a bit clinical and like a big science lab. None of the Pandas that are born there are born naturally, it is all done through IVF because part of the reason that the Pandas are going extinct is that the male's.........how will i put this...genitalia are too small. We also learned that Chinese emperors trained pandas to fight in their armies and the pandas have been around since the dinosaurs and have not changed one bit. The genitals bit is true but the rest are just some of the many things you are told throughout china (and expected to believe) that are not true. it was worthwhile to see them in action, they look like humans in Panda suits the way they move. enjoy the photos!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



14th June 2009

Kells you big geek!! I can't believe Pandas are really racoons!! And where are the kit-kats!!?
22nd June 2009

awwwwwwwww they are so cute!!!kellie i can see why you were mad bout them,photos are class they so cute.and u in the middle of them all, big panda!!!cillian you so funny, very well worded, not offendin anyone...wel perhaps the poor pandas!xx
1st July 2009

Pandas
So jealous guys!!! Keep up the good blog work!!!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb