Learning how to cross the road in Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
March 18th 2011
Published: April 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Why did the chicken cross the road in Hanoi?Why did the chicken cross the road in Hanoi?Why did the chicken cross the road in Hanoi?

Because he's insane and has no regard for his life.
Some tips I picked up...

Firstly, watch out and be alert everywhere. Nowhere is off limits and in addition to pavements and pedestrian crossings, I found myself face to face with a scooter in an open shop entrance.

If you stumble across a pedestrian or 'walking' street, be aware that it's not just for pedestrians and scooters are also allowed to race down these often narrow streets including the street that houses the night market. So if you visit the market, whilst looking at the all the pretty things on sale, also look at the pavement around you, it will most likely have a scooter trying to make its way through the hoards of people.

One way streets are only one way for cars. Scooters may go whichever way they please.

When you're walking on any street, look out for reversing scooters on the pavement. Whilst they may look behind them once they're about to reach the road, they do not when they are on the pavement. and will back straight into you!

The traffic does not stop for anything. Not a crossing, not a red light. Given that most crossings or lights are at cross roads, it's probably easier to not cross the road at either (unless it's not at a cross road, obviously) and just cross at a safe spot where traffic is only coming from two directions rather than four.

When you're finally ready to cross over to the other side, look, look and look again in every direction possible. And don't discount the corners of the pavement for riding over as a shortcut for motos. Wait for a break in the traffic on your side of the road and start to cross. The traffic should (I say should, but no promises here) start to move to avoid you. I found that it helps if you can find a local to cross behind (although if they get hit, you're getting hit too) they appear to have no fear and seem to be able to part traffic like it's the red sea.

Lastly, hold your head high, have confidence and try to not freak out and stop in the middle of the road (you may be there for some time) say your prayers and wish yourself the best of luck.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb