Hanoi / Halong Bay / Christmas / Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
December 27th 2009
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi All, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

After our plane to Hanoi was delayed, we arrived just in time for peak hour traffic which was hectic in every sense of the word. Then we checked into our hotel, went out for a great dinner and home for bed as we had to be ready for our transfer at 8am the next morning.

After holding our driver up 30 minutes (we got up late and couldn't miss breaky), we set off on the 3.5hr journey to Halong City / Bay. Not sure if the driver was sh#tty about holding him up at breaky, but his driving was scary - even Dan commented when we finally arrived (with worn teeth and high blood pressure), thank Heavens the car had seatbelts.

ALL ABOARD! We were greeted on board Byaha II with super friendly staff and rose petals from above. Lunch was fantastic and when we arrived at our cabins we were all plesantly surprised with how comfortable they were. Then it was up to the top deck for a drink and savour the view. Words really cannot describe how truely amazing Halong Bay is, with so many mountains / caves, clear water and a beach or two popping up here and there. There are fishing villages in the middle of serene mountains, little towns on tiny islands and over 100 caves you can walk through. Dan was LOVING it, and kept commenting on how blown away he was with it all.

Byaha II docked at the 'Surprise Cave' and off we went exploring this enormous thing - see pics - and after that it was back on board for a cooking demo with the head chef, a few more drinkies whilst watching the sunset and getting ready for our 'special' dinner.

OMG our 'special' dinner was everything and more! We boarded a little boat and were ferried across to an island. As we approached, we could see a fire path leading the way into a cave, and when we finally arrived all excited, we were lead into the cave which was completely decked out in candles, fruit and vege carvings, beautifully presented tables, a band and a great seafood buffet. Santa made an appearance and gave each child a present before the all-Vietnamese Crew sang us Christmas Carols. The food and wine flowed, we danced, we chatted to other families, the kids made a sand castle and we thought it was all a big dream. Dan, the kids and I certainly felt it was Christmas and agreed the experience was the best and most surreal Christmas dinner we've ever had. Fred, Caitlin and Lucy went to bed exhausted and only just managed to put the milk and carrot out for Santa and his reindeer.

Santa delivered the appropriate goods and the excited and very happy kids, Dan and I set off on a day trip boat around the bay. Dan and the kids toured some small caves in a canoe, swam, we visited Cat Ba Island and got around on motorbikes, trekked a bit and generally really enjoyed the day. I found a great 1996 French red at the boat bar which they didn't know they had or how much it was (or what it was) and ended up getting it for a steal so as the day boat cruised back to the main boat Dan and I sipped on great wine and absorbed the great atmosphere (until the kids started fighting). Certainly not the standard Christmas Day where we swim, eat way too much, sleep, have a family altercation, drink way too much and pick up reminants of 100m of wrapping paper. Later on it was back on the main boat for another lovely dinner and an early night as we have done so much it is all starting to catch up...

Dan and I took so many photos of Halong Bay, the caves, our Christmas Eve dinner etc etc that we are unable to post them all here, will save some for a slide night when we get back (LOL).

It was a little sad to depart Byaha II on Boxing Day, but we needed to get back to Hanoi and thankfully our transfer driver was much safer, hence the trip back wasn't too bad. Managed to see a few interesting things on the trip back too, like a buffalo (passed on) strapped to the back of a tiny motorbike, and about 30 baguette sellers all in one spot on the side of the highway!

Ate at a local pho vendor before retiring to the hotel as Fred was VERY naughty and the kids in general were driving Dan and I COMPLETELY NUTS.

Not much doing today, Dan's out exploring the City, I got a very dodgie haircut / colour (what was I thinking, no seriously), kids went for a brief swim as the pool is freezing, got ripped clean off by a shady and rude taxi driver after lunch and we intend visiting the night markets a little later.

Might be off on a tour tomorrow????? Could we be bothered????






Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb