HSBC: The World's local bank


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Jim

And so, we have made it to 'Nam by train. Exciting - much!

The train was ok, but not as exciting as the trans-mongolian. The lack of beer and Swedes may have been a distinct factor in this lack of fun.

I read 'The Handmaid's Tale' again on the journey, which kept me occupied.

The second night was a bit of a headache. At 20.00 we were forced off the train in Nanning (China), herded like a bunch of sheep, and locked (yes, LOCKED!) in a waiting room. We were only in there for an hour, and then we were allowed back on the train, and departed again.

At about 2.am we went through Chinese Customs... then slept again.

Then we're woken up again, because we needed to change trains and go through Vietnam border... at 3.50 am!!

Eventually, at 8am, we arrive in Hanoi, and got accosted by about 20 people who wanted to take us in a taxi. Trying to explain that we had no money didn't work. Also, not helping, was the fact we didn't know where to stay.

We walked along a main road, waiting and looking for an ATM. Then we found it, a pearl in a dusty desert:

HSBC: The World's Local Bank.

We did then muse that I've never seen another abroad, so perhaps it's only local if you are in 'Nam or UK?

Then, money in hand, intrepid backpackers we are, making our way to a hotel.

It's called the Hanoi Elegance Hotel, and is lovely. The staff are, no doubt, the friendliest staff I've ever encountered. We got there at like 9am, so they gave us free drinks and we had breakfast while waiting for the room to be ready.

Then, we said we were going to Saigon, but needed tickets, so they got them for us!!

It's a lovely room, with a nice bath and a computer with internet in our room; OK HEAVEN!

We went for a walk, and I got some cheap "Dior" trainers, which basically hobble me because they're slightly too small. But god, they're nice!

Our Hotel is right in the old quater, and it's such an adventure to walk about. There is little stalls and food markets and people everywhere, and motorbikes everywhere.

Crossing the road is scary, but we got the hang of it pretty quickly: just walk, steady speed into the oncoming traffic, and they swerve around you.

There is a lovely lake near us, where there are little gardens and benches - it looks a real social meeting place.

In the afternoon, we went and had smoothies - I had a cookies and cream mocha smoothie, while Flic had a really sweet fruit one she couldn't drink.

After that, we went to see a 'Water Puppet Show', which is a north Vietnemese speciality art form. It was bizzare, but very cool and fun! And very cheap too.

For dinner, we had food in a terrace resturant on the lake. We sat outside, and I had sweet and sour pork, and Flic had steak! Yum!

After food, we went to a pub near our Hotel, but only stayed for one, because we were sleepy! Haha!

We're off to Saigon tonight!

Advertisement



18th January 2009

YOU WAIT (2ND)
If you think it's all hustle and bustle in Vietnam you wait till you arrive in Bangkok, the motorbikes and tuk-tuk's are 2nd to none. So dont cross the road, green cross code dont work out there. Use the walk ways OVER the traffic !! Enjoy!!
18th January 2009

Jim this sounds so wonderful! I can visualize the roads and having to cross them LOL, sounds like such an adventure!
19th January 2009

steak!!!
really enjoying reading your blogs. it all sounds very exciting. just a thought flic.. the steak was a great leap of faith, hope it moo'ed and didn't bark!!!!!!(just kidding...)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb