Getting back into the swing of things


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 8th 2009
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have only just arrived but could write a book already.

Let's start with leaving town.Now this is a semi public site so I will be polite. Why is it that some groups of people cannot wait until their row number is called before getting ready to board the plane. As soon as the boarding pass area opens, they all stand up and surge forward like a great wave and all try and get on as first class passengers. They then get pushed back only to try again when they annouce preboarding for children etc. No order to things.

The flight was an hour late leaving, goodness knows why as the plane was there on time. It was a very good thing I did not listen to the travel agent regarding time between flights from Hong Kong. We would have missed our connection for sure, especially when you allow for security clearance time. On international flights you need to allow a minimum of two hours between connections

The seats at the back of the plane turned out to be a blessing in disguise as they were nice and quiet.I guess they decided to get us on Hong Kong time as soon as possible because they gave us a chicken dinner at 3:30 a.m. not much sleep for us. In total we went at least 30 hours without sleep. Don watched 4 movies!

The drive from Hanoi airport into the city was a riot. For one, the traffic is crazy here. We know there must be an order to it but it takes a while to figure out. There are motor bikes and mopeds buzzing everywhere like bees. There are a lot of new high end cars here but how long they will look new, I have no idea. The taxi driver is cutting in and out, honking as he goes. And now - they all have cellphones and he spent most of the 30k drive on his phone - I am amazed we arrived - I just looked out of the side window and did not look at the front of the car.

Here we are in Hanoi. Now Don starts to earn his keep because he gets us across the roads. If it was left up to me we would still be standing on the sidewalk! It is like playing chicken every time you venture to the other side of the street. We will soon get used to it.I have to keep an eye on Don. Every time I turned around he has disappeared into some new store to buy some strange treat for us to try.
We will be in touch again soon.

Advertisement



8th January 2009

already an adventure
sounds like a riot already. I cracked up at your comment about Don disappearing into stores to buy strange treats.... so Don. Glad you're already enjoying yourselves even though you must be exhausted. Have fun.
8th January 2009

fun fun fun
Journey getting there sounds like fun... but the best it yet to come. You are gonna love it.... especially all those tasty samples that Don will provide you with. Key to the traffic... just go.. walk.. and keep going. Don't run and don't turn back... just look ahead and keep walking. They will avoid you!! Off to Halong Bay before ya know it. Yaaay.
8th January 2009

Its making me envious even more. Having been in Asia I know what you mean about the traffic. Imagine trying to drive! Good luck with the street crossings. my motto has always been stand by the locals and cross when they cross! I am still here so it must work. I cant wait to read more blogs. Enjoy the new treats :-)
11th January 2009

Crossings
Hi Guys, Sounds like you're off to a good start! Diana, just don't let Don get lost, that's the real challenge! Crossing the street is easy just stick Right behind a local! Have fun. Joyce

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb