It's about the Christmas music


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
January 9th 2009
Published: January 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well, using the internet is not always straight forward. It is available in the hotel but more often than not it is 'down'. We have had another busy day of walking the city with a little story attached of course. Things are changing greatly in Vietnam and you have the mixture of the old and the new. On the one hand flat screen TV's are for sale everywhere and on the other hand you have people selling a few oranges for pennies on the side of the street. You have high end stores next to hole in the wall operations.

The war is a distant memory for the younger generation. For example we were told that the Hoa Po Prison, commonly referred to as the 'Hanoi Hilton', that housed the American POWs during the war, was well worth a visit. When we asked directions from a younger person in our hotel, he wanted to send us to the Hilton Hotel! By the time we had gone around several blocks we arrived at our destination to find it closed, so that was the end of that.

Christmas music is being played everywhere from Hong Kong Airport to restaurants in Hanoi. It seems so out of place. I am going to try and load some photos now. As it is hard to capture the chaos of Hanoi in pictures, I will try and capture the calm instead. I am still having trouble stepping off the sidewalk -sometimes Don finds himself on the other side with out me. Let me see - what did he get up to today? I turned around and he was helping somebody load up their bike with stuff!

Tomorrow we head off to Halong Bay for an overnight on a Junk. We are looking forward to the experience, although we understand it will be a chilly one - no swimming that is for sure. Nevermind, our poor feet will get a rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mummeee, I'm finishedMummeee, I'm finished
Mummeee, I'm finished

Now this is what I call Potty Training


11th January 2009

sooooo....
waiting to hear all about Halong Bay? Wondering if you ended up on board a boat with a bunch of drunk Aussie's!! hahaha. And wondering when Don will sneak away for a massage!!! :-)
12th January 2009

good to hear from you I am able to get your pictures-- which is great - by the way keep meaning to ask you how the sausage roll business went -- I guess it is paying for your trip !!!!!!!!!! love to you both -- Cissy and George xoxoxoxox

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb