Temple of Literature and Ho Chi Minh


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
May 8th 2008
Published: May 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Temple of lit.Temple of lit.Temple of lit.

Here's Erin in one of the larger squares at the temple grounds.
So here we are... Hanoi Vietnam. We started today with a free hotel breakfast, and I was definitely expecting something different than your run-of-the-mill North American breakfast... So it was Pho for breakfast!

Well, there was Pho (w/beef only), eggs, fried noodles, and fresh fruit. They of course still stocked toast and jam for those less-adventerous of travelers. It was definitely a change, but in my opinion, a change for the better.

After brkfst it was another free day, as we didn't have to meet with our tour leader until 6 pm that night. We decided to check out the temple of literature - which happened to be just half a block away from our hotel - and paid our 5,000 dong (approx 30c CAD) to get through. These temples were built in honor of Confucious and were used first as a place to study Taoist ways (I think) and then, later on in its history, was used as a university for cantonese students to learn more about Vietnam. At any rate, it was a really beautiful series of temples and relaxation pools, with loads of history behind it. A Very interesting place indeed. Oh, there was also a
Drums, anyone?Drums, anyone?Drums, anyone?

This is a gigantic drum they used to play on the grounds.
group of musicians in one of the buildings who were playing these traditional asian instruments with a great display of skill.

Following this awesome sight, we decided to rest a little back at the hotel, because we were still incredibly exhausted from the flight andd walking around the previous day. Afterwards though, I found a park on the map entitled "Lenin Park" and there was a bit of writing on it in our guidebook, so we decided to hike on down to it. It wasn't super spectacular, but it was definitely a place of refuge from the hustle-bustle of the typical life of a Hanoian.

Back to the hotel...

Now was the time we had to meet back at the hotel to see our tour guide and fellow travelers. Hong is the name of our leader, and (thank goodness) we weren't completely surrounded by old people in our tour; there's 4 other like us. The majority of the people on our tour are from New Zealand/Australia, but there's one guy from Britain and a girl from the US.

We had a traditional Vietnamese meal that night which was the best we've had this trip.

The
Lenin ParkLenin ParkLenin Park

A gigantic tree situated around the lake at Lenin Park.
following day (today)...

We all met up in the morning for the walking tour to go to the Ho Chi Minh complex and, after standing in line for quite some time, we found ourselves face to face with the body of Ho Chi Minh, in a large stone sarcophogus. It was surreal.

Following that our group ventured off to the Palace area near the masoleum to see where Ho Chi had lived and done much of his work. Again, it was a really cool experience.

Lastly we went through the Ho Chi Minh Museum, where we got our heads filled with much propaganda and WAY too much information for one day. It was interesting though.

For the rest of our day, we need to find some food, go to see a Water puppet theatre to see some awesome water puppetry.

Anyways, thats it for now. Hope it does you over until our next post!

BEN


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

HCM MasoleumHCM Masoleum
HCM Masoleum

Part of the tour during the HCM complex trip.


8th May 2008

we love the photos and the descriptions of your activities. Hey Erin, I see you are wearing your long pants. Does it mean the weather is cool (for Vietnam) or is it because you are visiting certain public places?
9th May 2008

!!
This sounds so awesome you guys! The pools and temples must have been so peaceful and the scenery looks great over there. I have to ask - what is Pho? Silly question, I'm sure...
10th May 2008

No it's actually not too hot here, only when the sun is out and it has been pretty overcast so far. I actually wish I brought more long pants.
10th May 2008

pho
it's a really popular dish, it's noodles and some sort of meat with hot water poured over. really good.
11th May 2008

my heart and my thoughts are with you 2 explorers. Love Oma
12th May 2008

It looks like you are having a wonderful time. Miss you guys! Love moi
13th May 2008

long pants?!
wat also: you could just buy designer* pants for dirt cheap. good to hear things are rockin' out. party hearty. JJJJJ (...ulia?) you can get pho in e-town. it's in loads of places. tasty + cheap = surefire winner
17th May 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Happy birthday, Erin. I'm sure you'll be able to buy yourself a great gift from those piles of designer clothing you described. We all spent the day out at Ardele's yesterday...all the little kids together. I even rode a horse. What a sight to see. Enjoy your special day.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb