Frogger and Pho


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
May 6th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Don Xuan MarketDon Xuan MarketDon Xuan Market

This is one of the larger counterfeit markets situated just north of the Old part of Hanoi. Basically, 3 levels of counterfeit mayhem with infinite choices and dirt cheap prices! This came only after the countless blocks of likewise shops before it.
Well we arrived safe and sound in Hanoi after a crazy long flight and hours of bordom at various airports. Leaving the Hanoi airport we attemptd to catch one of the shuttle buses "just accross the parking lot" but even the bus drivers couldn't tell us where they were going so we ended up grabbing a cab which turned into an adventure all on it's own.

The traffic is unbelievable, the only road rule is yeild to anything bigger then you. There are lanes painted on the road, but no one uses them, there are occasional traffic lights but they don't matter, and everyone is constantly honking even though it has absolutely no effect.

Crossing the streets has gone from terrifying to kind of fun. You basically just walk slowly out into the streets and the scooters swerve around you, but we found the secret is to walk in a diagonal against the traffic to the other side. It is a real life game of frogger.

We spent our first day wandering through the Old Quarter and the piles (some literally three stories high) of fabric and 'designer' clothes. We found an artistic ice-cream cafe (my ice-cream was
Fanny's Ice CreamFanny's Ice CreamFanny's Ice Cream

This is an artistic ice-cream parlour in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. Great stuff.
in the shape of a bee) and of course had to finish off with a bowl of Pho just down the street.

😊
It's only been one day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Balloon LadyBalloon Lady
Balloon Lady

One of the many diverse things people try to cart around on their bikes/motorcycles.


6th May 2008

We're glad to hear that you arrived safely and with your luggage. We hope that you can get some rest in all that hustle and bustle before you start on the tour. love mom and dad
6th May 2008

Shveeet!
I can't believe you guys are actually there... I can picture it all in my head. What's the temp like over there? So hot you feel like it would be cooler to jump out of your skin than live? Please give any panda/monkey you see a hug from me, although I know Erin doesn't really like wildlife (ie. manta ray incident)!! So Ben, that would be great. Oh and for you guys too of course.
8th May 2008

thanks!
I do too like wildlife, :P just not when we chase it for hours as I'm ready to puke off the side of the boat!
9th May 2008

LOLZ!1!! Good times eh? Yes they were.
13th May 2008

READING
Hi to you both. I'm following your tour. Enjoy that ancient culture. Stay healthy! Make the most of meeting all those new people....what fun. Love from us all...Gloria is still in Bolivia.
13th May 2008

traffic: I KNOW
we had a bet going on between me and my brothers of how long it would take for one of us to forget the roads are all screwy and look the wrong way. in other news: seen a manwich yet? it's three dudes on a scooter and they're supposedly a fairly common mode of travel out there.
14th May 2008

Yes! haha. They're everywhere! today we actually tried biking on the roads, The traffic is not as bad here but it was still crazy.
14th May 2008

sweeeeet/duuuuuuude
haha. manwiches. awesome.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb