Mekong Delta...Full of Surprises


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
June 12th 2006
Published: July 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post


Spit. Roasted. Dog.

No. I couldn't believe it either..so much for stereotypes not living up to reality..drifting along the narrow channels of the delta region near Can Tho brought a thousands sights but its this one that my mind keeps returning to and makes me blurt out at not entirely appropriate times 'can't believe we saw dog bbq!'. smelled damn good btw.

needless to say it wasn't another addition to my list of new food i've experimented with...

5:30am sunrise over the Mekong chilled me out to the point i nearly lolled over the side of the tiny wooden boat we had commandeered...and the floating markets with their barges packed to the hilt with thousands of pineapples, melons, and unidentifyable fruit had my mouth watering...

even at that time the river was teeming with life...people having a morning freshen-up in the murky water, with old men brushing their remaining two teeth on the rickety decks of their stilted houses.

our 10 hour floating odyssey showed me...

...the beauty of age. 'old' women with limbs more flexible and toned than mine could ever be..managing business on the river and commanding the utmost respect...wrinkled faces with diamond eyes that have seen so much and yet who are unlikely to be sheltered in their old age and shoved in old people's homes...us in the 'West' could do to learn something from that.

...intricate Buddhist and Christian shrines atop trading boats

...frail 'monkey bridges' made of bamboo rods that have been a way of life and communication in the region for hundreds of years...criss crossing the smaller canals and picture perfectly framing the straw-hatted women on their dug-out boats.

...gravestones placed ceremoniously amid paddy fields (only those in the military are buried in cemetaries) so be nice to your inlaws or you'll be put next to the latrine.

...5inch black spider dangling above the boat from palm trees

...my elephant ear fish being caught in front of me and being show how to make rice paper wraps with the fish, leaves and noodles. ahh..addicted to fish sauce!!

...how friendly and smooth a vietnamese snake can be!

...huge mummy pigs squeeling as they were dangling from their legs on their way to market.

on that note...had delicous pork rolls today in Chau Doc market, could almost hear the cries

tiger beer calling...

xxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th July 2006

Compliments.
Hi Katy!! Your picture are really wonderfoul!! Vietnam is a place very far from what we're abit to.... Ciaoooooo....
27th July 2006

cool
hey nice pics you have a really good eye to see the perfect moment take care

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb