01/11/08-02/1108 Mekong river trip!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta
November 4th 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Eary start! met at 7.30 for our trip. Bus to Mekong River... When we got to Cai Be we got on a slow boat at the Mekong Delta. The river begins in China and ends in Ocean south of Vietnam and by this point is extensive. We cruised passed 'floating' markets where boats are anchored in middle of the river and people living on the river bank sell there goods in large quantities and trade. Alot of there houses stand on stilts in the river.
Stopped on an island to see local woman make rice paper and coconut candy... YUM!
We kept going to one of many islands in the river and had lunch. Tide was very low so we had to stop eearly and cycle some of the way which Donna found very entertaining - I never could do cycle!! Locally caught shrimp was delicious (and massive!). Yes thats right, Ive had MORE than my fair share of seafood believe me! The cuisine is varied and fantastic. So far have avoided anything not asian. Long boat ride to Chau Doc were an even longer bus ride took us to our floating hotel further down the Mekong. First quite nights sleep in ages... until the locals got there boats out for market at 5!! but we had to be up early anyway.
Guide took us to a catfish farm. He told us they are so valuable to trade they are often fed better than the farmers. Next stop was to visit the Cham people. They are an islamic minority group that habit 7 islands in the river. Me and Donna both brought some lovely jewellry. Was good!
Back on the boat.... bored of river by this point! only joking it was cool. Went to (very relaxed) Cambodian border. Took over an hour to sort visas for all of us and we got a little burnt in the sun. After another boat and a BUs we arrived in Phnom Penh yesterday evening. Very long day but great fun!
update on Phnom Penh soon x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Making rice paperMaking rice paper
Making rice paper

for spring rolls etc...
cococut candycococut candy
cococut candy

delicious!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb