28/10/08 - 01/11/08 KL and onto Vietnam!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
October 31st 2008
Published: October 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well what can I say, its been an amazing few days. Spent wed wondering around KL visiting Petronas Towers, KL Tower, China Town and Hindu Quarters before having an amazing meal in the evening. Both of us have tan lines! I hear its been snowing there hee hee.... Thursday just chilled out really and tried planning bit more of the trip before flying to Ho Chi Minh City in afternoon. Arrived at 7pm and realised instantly its a lot livelier than KL. The city is manic but a lot of fun. We lucked in on a hostel which is great value for its standard and had a meal and drinks in backpacker area, watching world go by. Today we went to the War Remnants Museum, which was outstanding and upsetting equally with horrific images of the Vietnam war and accounts of soldiers and civilians. Had a look around the indoor market next which was ok. Full of clothers, ornaments, jewellry, live fish, dried fish, food stalls etc. Everyone is on your back to buy things where ever you go in HCMC but they dont hassle you too much. The roads are insane and crossing them is very funny, you have to play chicken with loadsa cars and mopeds. All part of experience though!!
We really like this city, much more character than KL. Also, it rained today which totally rocked. The locals thought we were crazy walking in it!

Day after, we took a trip to the cu chi tunnels - a network of 250+km of tunnels in the jungle that the viet cong used during the war. It was very cool. On the way we stopped at a workshop for people who had been affected by chemicals the US used and were left hanficapped. This was a bit tough to say the least... In Cu Chi we were shown traps the viet cong made, concealed entrances into tunnels etc, and then we went down them. very surreal experience - look at the photos! They were a lot smaller than westerners so alot of the tunnels cant be accessed. We then looked aroung the Reunification Palace in HCMC where Ho Chi Minh governed. Must admit it was a little boring!! Great night, great food. sat on roof top bar watching city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

room in ho chi minhroom in ho chi minh
room in ho chi minh

double bed, all to play for...


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb