Day 20 - Mekong River, Unicorn Island and Can Thi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
August 8th 2015
Published: August 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 20 - on the Mekong
We had a great idea this morning, to strap my empty backpack into Helens full one, to make travelling easier, she got loaded up, and it worked a treat! We were being picked up at 9am, after breakfast by the tour guide. She was on time with the driver; her name is Hoang.

We got into the car, fully expecting to be taken to a bigger bus to join a tour, she looked as us really surprised, explaining that we had booked a private tour! No wonder it was so bloody expensive! But, to be honest, the big tour did not go on a Saturday, which is why we had had difficulty booking it previously! I think we paid about £170 each for 3 days and 2 nights.

We have a private driver and tour guide, and a private boat on the Mekong, a very personalised service. This trip was put together totally based on our needs, so with that in mind, we are both very happy! We set off for the Mekong. It took us about 2 hours. We had absolutely no messing at the boat station, because we were on a private trip, we simply breezed straight through. Helen stopped off, in order to buy a Vietnamese hat as a keepsake for back home.

We arrived at My Tho to get on our boat to be taken over to the island. There are four islands; Unicorn, Phoenix, Tortoise and Dragon. We are visiting Unicorn Island today. Hoang explains that this is the island that she grew up on.

The Mekong looks very much like the River Humber, muddy and brown! As we set off, it wasn't quite as I had visioned, no greenery, just muddy water. We approached Unicorn island, were we were going to sample some honey products and taste some fruits of the island. The honey based Jasmine tea was beautiful, we buy the peanut honey brittle usually anyway, so nothing much new there. As Terry and Hoa had already introduced us to quite a few new fruits, we actually knew them all! We both felt quite knowledgable, but that didn't last long!

There are so many fruits here that I do not recognise; it makes me feel quite ignorant! Eg; the custard apple, mangosteen. I didn't know them before, but I certainly do now. Although we knew the fruits at the tasting, something new was the ying and yang of eating pineapple! You, very gently, roll the edge of the pineapple in a chilli/salt mix; this balances the flavour during the fruit tasting. We had traditional musicians and singers playing in the background. In my opinion, which really counts for nothing, it was a bit of a racket!

We left the fruit tasting to where a small river boat was waiting to take us on the Mekong, through the mangroves. Now this is how my imagination had seen it! I loved this bit of the tour. Huong pointed out the wired, spiked looking water coconuts. They are fed to animals, very poor quality, not like coconuts that we recognise! We arrived at a set of steps where we finished the short ride through the mangroves.

Hoang certainly knows her information about this island. She constantly reels off tales of folk legend, and religion. Some of the time, stopping Helen and I from nodding off!

We set off on foot through various fruit trees, plants, flowers and herbs. Every time Hoang showed us a new plant or fruit, it came with a story or legend attached. We walked along the underneath of a huge new bridge to a road, all the way Hoang showed us more new vegetation with stories attached, she made it all very interesting. She told us we were catching th local bus, with that, a horse and cart pulled up. Another fun mode of travel!

We arrived at a small path that led us to another boat lady, this time it was a slightly larger, motorised boat. This boat took us out of the mangroves and into open water to Phoenix Island, where we were going for our lunch. This time we went much deeper into the mangroves, passing the usual tourist stops. At this point Houng told us, you get what you pay for, that's why we go deeper into the mangroves. As we found out later!

We seemed to go deeper, and deeper for quite a while until we arrived at some concrete steps, we then followed the path to a lunch area. We got seated at a table, the oh my goodness, the food arrived! The elephant ear fish, stood proud on its perch, the huge ball of sticky rice like I've never seen before, spring rolls, huge prawns, chicken, salad. In fact all of the ingredients on the table where just amazing!

A girl came over and took control of our food, showing us how to assemble it in the rice paper. She did mine for me due to only having the one working arm! Helen did manage to make one of her own. I could really go on about how amazing the food was! We both felt like royalty today; we got so well looked after. We are enjoying the perks of a private tour!

After lunch we returned to our boat, on the way stopping off to give the remains of our fish to the little dog we saw on the way in, it has just given birth to four puppies, so really needs the protein! We return to My Tho back along the mangroves, into the open water, and across to the ticket office. There, our private car awaits us to take us on to Can Tho, to our hotel. Houng explains that we are staying in the best hotel in Can Tho! Another surprise, yes, we are now very pleased that we paid the price.

We arrive at the hotel a few hours later, making arrangements to meet Hoang at 7.30 so that she can show us around the town. It's a lovely little town, the social area being down by the edge of the river. It's all lit up like Blackpool illuminations!

There are plenty of shops, a small market and lots of street food. With Hoang's assistance we try some street food. A rice paper base with dried onion and shrimp, then chopped spring onion, minced pork, and liver pate, topped with mayo cooked over coals. It's really good!

We went into a temple, Chinese assembly hall were I asked a question in my head, to one of the gods, I then had to throw the runes, three times, noting how they landed, you then explained to a master how they landed, then she gave me guidance for my question. She had a huge grin, telling Hoang in Vietnamese, that my whole future, job, family and business deals were good. She asked if I was going to sue someone.... Because I should!

Hoang left us to our own devices for the rest of the evening, we strolled around, had coffee, a bite to eat, then back to the hotel. It's an early start tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb