1 day in Can Tho....


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Mekong River Delta » Can Tho
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The drive to Can Tho was reasonably comfortable, we stopped once at a noodle shop where we witnessed some local guy going crazy and trying to fight the staff. It provided us with a few minutes of entertainment before we set off again.

We arrived and took moto-taxis to the river and found a hotel overlooking it. We went out for lunch at a restaurant where most of the dishes on the menu contained snake – a local delicacy. Although we had ordered beef it out us off somewhat and we didn’t really enjoy our meal. To make up for it we bought popcorn, onion rings, grapes and sugary drinks and went back to the hotel where we watched TV and ate junk food.

In the evening we took a stroll around the river front, stopping off at a riverside restaurant here we BBQ’d our own beef and prawns. We took a look around the small markets, one for the locals and one for the tourists, then headed back.

We were up at 5am and waiting in reception by 5.30am for our river tour we had booked. When someone finally came to meet us at 5.50am it was a butch lady with a big smile who spoke no English. She took us to the river and we got on her little boat. We had thought we would at least have an English speaking guide for the price we paid but apparently not. We visited the main floating market where we saw boats covered in fruits for sale. After we visited a place where they make rice noodles. Fortunately it was clear to see how they were making the noodles just by looking, as no one spoke to us or explained a thing! After we went to another, much smaller floating market where we were given some kind of poppadum and grapefruit to try. We were then taken down some backwaters where we saw children playing in the water and mothers doing their laundry. Eventually we were taken somewhere for lunch before the long ride back to Can Tho.

We went back to the hotel and checked out, took a moto-taxi to the bus station and got straight into a minibus headed for Chau doc.

Deb & Ang





Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Local lady washing Local lady washing
Local lady washing

no washing machine.
Local kids Local kids
Local kids

were excited when they saw us and started waving frantically.


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb