Fun in the Sun


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 21st 2017
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.7308, 100.521

Really it was fun in the sun if you like the heat. It reached 97 degrees today. There's no stopping outside activities if you only have a few days so we began as usual. Even though it's hot we've learned that you can't go out too early because most attractions don't open early. After a nice leisurely breakfast we set out to find our first destination.

The Jim Thompson House and Museum was where we were headed. He was an American who was born in Delaware in 1906. Before World War II he was an architect but volunteered to serve in the U.S. Army. He spent time in Europe and was later sent to Asia. However, the war ended before he saw action. He was sent to Bangkok a while later and fell in love with Thailand. After leaving the service he decided to live here permanently. He devoted himself to reviving the craft of hand weaving silk. He contributed greatly to the textile industry's growth and to worldwide recognition to Thai silk. He became more famous for the construction of his house which combined six teak buildings . Most of the houses were at least two centuries old. They were dismantled and brought to the present site and reassembled. He moved into the house in 1959. On March 26, 1967 Jim Thompson disappeared while on a visit to Malaysia. No valid clues have turned up as to what may have happened to him. His home is open to the public with all proceeds going to Thai charities. The house is along a alongside a river and has beautifully landscaped gardens.

Our next stop was Chinatown. As we have seen in all the other neighborhoods there are people selling fruits and cooking food in stalls along the street. The traffic is this area was very congested and crossing the streets is nearly impossible. Even if the pedestrians have the green light the cars still don't stop and motorcycles are zipping around in every direction. Because of the heavy traffic some of the motorcycles are used as taxis because they can find their way between all the cars.

Tonight we walked the streets around our hotel to check out the neighborhood. Off the Main Street are numerous side lanes that are lined with restaurants, vendors cooking and selling foods out of carts, tailors looking for business, and in the Nana district many message parlors. All of these lanes are packed with people. Besides the tourists, Bangkok has a population of over 12 million people.

With each day we spend here we find new and unique neighborhoods so we'll see what tomorrow brings. '


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb