Football at last ...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 26th 2016
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.392, 103.924

Wake up at 03:00 and watch Spurs 3v0 Fierentina.
Very cold again this morning and I have to put four layers on before biking into Phon Thong. I was obviously mistaken about the cold season having finished !
Get back to Khamnadie about 10:00 and Jai still hasnt returned from the hospital which I guess cant mean good news.
Sure enough, Jai arrives back a little later with the news that her sister Bepat had died in the night. Already things are starting to happen at her house and after an early lunch I take Jai back there to help out for the afternoon. The marquees are up acorss the road outside Bepats house with tables and chairs set up and Bepat's refridgerated coffin is sat in her house surrounded by wreaths and covered in flashing coloured lights. Friends and neighbours are dropping in to pay their respects and light incense sticks.
I leave them all to it for the afternoon and return to our house.
Jai gets back late afternoon and after we have eaten we both return to Bepat's. Several relatives have driven from their homes this afternoon and it is quite busy. Just after 18:00, 11 monks from the surrounding temples come and conduct a ceremony in the house, sat chanting for an hour an or so. There must be 100+ people gathered around the house and sat in the street outside. It is all quite surreal and feels like I am watching it on TV. When the monks leave a lot of the others follow whilst many remain for something to eat. I decide that this is a good time for me to slip away as well.
Lots of the family will stay here through the night and Jai is staying as well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb