The Italians of Asia ?


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
November 11th 2012
Published: July 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 16.3833, 103.933

It is Armistice Day but obviously no red poppies around here although Thailand did play a cameo role in the First World War. If we are watching football on the TV and I ask Jai which team she will support she always says that she will wait to see who scores the first goal before committing herself. Same with the First World War. In 1907 Thailand had lost Cambodia to the French and in 1909 parts of Malaya to the British. When 1914 came around they were obviously more favourably disposed towards the Germans. King Vajiravudh, who was British educated, kept the country neutral. When the tide of war turned in 1917/18 and the US sent troops to France, Thailand thought it might be a good idea to jump onto the winning team quickly and in June 1918 despatched 1300 of her own troops to Europe.
A similar scenario played out during WW2. Initially Thailand supported the Japanese but by 194 when it appeared that they would be defeated, the Thai prime minister who had concluded the alliance was forced to resign.
Thaialnd - the Italy of Asia ?
I bike over to neighbouring Pak Chong to invite a couple of people to come for a beer tomorrow night and end up at German John's. We go to see the piece of land that they are currently buying for a walkabout. We have been discussing possible uses for the land and strangely John came up with the same idea that I had had a few years back; homestay. I dont think that there is any form of farming in the village that can make any money at the moment but with the right advertising - certainly a web page - I do think that there is a market for offering homestays and village tours to travellers. If anyone reading this fancies being a guinea pig - get in touch now !!!!
Back at the house I find Jai baking.
Mid afternoon I bike over to George and Wan's to borrow their handcart and we take the new trees out the farm and plant them. We have probably finished with the trees for this year now and will watch how they develop and see if they are still alive by the time we return next year before buying any more.
I am off to bed early tonight and get back up with the alarm at 23:00 to watch Chelsea 1 v1 Liverpool - I wish I'd stayed in bed !!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0209s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb