The Beginners Guide to Eating Thai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 27th 2015
Published: February 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Do you find that the best way to discover some different culture is via its cuisine? Thailand is well known for two things, a wild nightlife and its famous meals, which is more than enough to set an average foodie halfway around the earth, in search of new zesty flavours and exotic sights. Be cautious though, for the most striking distinction of Thai food is that it is spicy and very hot. It can be compared to Indian foodin a way, but the ingredients are different. Take this into account before deciding to give this cuisine a try.

Kai Med Ma Muang (Chicken with Cashew Nuts)

Many Thai meals are based upon setting contrast and balance among ingredients. Kai Med Ma Muang is this sort of meal, consisting of chicken paired with cashew nuts, and enriched with onions, pepper, chilli, mushrooms and carrot. It is a national favourite, available at most markets. However, those tourists allergic to nuts should avoid this one.

Yam Nua (Spicy Beef Salad)

In Thai, Yam means “salad”. But don’t be tricked by the name of this meal, it is no mere salad. It is rich with strips of beef, lime, spearmint, dried chilli and coriander. Dried chilli is far hotter than the one westerners are used to, and you may want to keep some bread at hand to supress the flame within your mouth.

Khao Pad (Fried Rice)

One of the easiest meals to make, you can try it at home. If you own a wok (deep frying pan used in Oriental cuisines), toss in a handful of rice, and fry it along with whatever you desire. Chicken meat, carrot, cucumber, various vegetables or even eggs – it is up to your taste. The main perk of this meal is its medley, so you don’t need to prepare it the same way, and with same ingredients.

Gaeng Keow Wan Kai (Green Chicken Curry)

Chicken makes the foundation of this meal, and it is topped of with green curry paste, which is paired with coconut milk, bamboo, coriander and eggplants. Different elements grant a wide spectrum of green shades, and while it looks “tame”, it is quite spicy. Pair it with Khao Pad, in order to calm it down a bit.

Pad Thai (Thai style Fried Noodles)

Maybe the best known Thai dish, these noodles are combined with egg, onion and beansprouts and mixed together in a wok. These ingredients will give a nice prelude, but to lift it up to crescendo, top it with sugar, fish sauce and ground peanuts. You fill feel it dance within your mouth, guaranteed.

Som Tum (Spicy Green Papaya Salad)

This jewel comes from the Northeast state of Isaan, and it causes much controversy in opinions. While we can agree that its strong kick can be a bit too much for inexperienced tasters, once you get used to it, you simply can’t get enough of it. Chilli, garlic, cherry tomatoes and green brans accompanied with peanuts or shrimp are guaranteed to provide you with enjoyment.

Tom Yum Goong (Spicy Shrimp Soup)

Most Thai meals are based on seafood. Tom Yum Goong is not an exception, for shrimp is the base of this meal. Spry lemongrass, galangal, chilli and lime leaves are added, and a confusion of taste occurs - sometimes it is impossible to determine which flavour you are currently feeling, for every mouthful tastes different. A luxury for the tongue, Tom Yum Goong captures all the perks of living in Thailand with every mouthful - the diversity, the tang, the sunny disposition.

Tom Kha Kai (Chicken in Coconut Soup)

Last but not least, this exotic blend of young galangal, chillies, shallots and sweet strips of chicken meat is a bit milder than the rest of the meals. Thanks to coconut milk, which softens the strong kick of spices, this meal is recommended for those sensitive to spices and hotness. Some fresh lime leaves can be added to invigorate its smell and add up to the taste.



So, I hope that I managed to get you curious about Thai cuisine, but in order to truly explore the unforgettable sensation, Thailand is a popular destination that ought to be in your bucket list!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb