Planning a Wedding Abroad


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 17th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Many couples are going for a wedding abroad, opting for a small ceremony with their closest friends and relatives instead of a big exhausting wedding. Also, with the average cost of a regular home wedding rising up to half a year earnings, the wedding abroad may be a better and a lot more attractive idea.

First things first, think of possible destinations and figure out the cost. It is advisable not to choose a destination you have never been to because it may sound good in theory but you never know how it will pan out. If you have your heart set on a specific destination research it thoroughly. Due to the rise in the number of low cost airlines in recent years, farther destinations are becoming ever more popular, so not even Australia is as far as it was before. Plus, it offers great wedding venues on northern beaches and while it’s freezing in the North hemisphere it is summer down under. A friend of mine from Manchester recently married in New South Wales, as she fell in love with the place while studying there, and although the planning took her months, the guests are still thrilled with how it all went and are still praising her for all the effort she put into it.

Take into consideration how much money it would cost the guests to get there, or how accessible the place is for them. Even if the place is dream-like, if your guests cannot afford the flight or if they have to spend a day in the plane, maybe the effort is too much for them.

A wedding planner in general is a good idea, but make sure to know what you are paying for. You do not want to be surprised by the extra costs of their services. Hire a wedding planner that is from that area because they will know every venue and you will not be their first overseas client so they are prepared for everything. They will look at venues, hotels, caterers, do all the legal paperwork for you, so all that is left for you is the fun part: choosing the attire, thinking of your guest list, and the other small details that make such an important date pleasurable.

You also need to consider the legal issues of marrying abroad. Do you need to get married at home first so that your fancy wedding would make your marriage legal; should you have your own priest; how long should you be lodging in a foreign country to be allowed to marry there (in Las Vegas you can marry right away, while the French law demands you to reside in France at least one month prior to the wedding); what documents should you have with you (passports, birth certificates, and other documents required to obtain marriage license). You do not want the paperwork to ruin your month’s work so be prepared to carry a large folder of documents.



You should never leave anything to chance and plan for things going awry like lost documents or luggage. Whatever you decide, remember that planning and good organisation is a key to perfection.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.528s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.2118s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb