Thailand


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
April 4th 2013
Published: April 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As we continue to look at how multinational corporations around the world effect other countries, we read an article involving Thailand and the barbie doll industry. As we know, technology is improving everywhere around the world. Everyone wants to modernize their cities and there economy. Thailand is no exception to this. The rapid modernization that has taken place in this country has forced farmers to move to the cities that are developing so they can try and keep up with the rest of the world. Unfortunately this means that they have to give up their land and start over. It is often difficult to find a modern job if you have worked on a farm your whole life. This is where a multi-national corporation such as the Barbie company comes into play. These people will work long hours for low wages. In a factory in Bangkok, workers are required to work 12 hours a day for approximately 5 dollars. The most disturbing thing i heard was who was actually working in the factories. The article talked about how most of the workers were young girls and women. The reason being because if the girls weren't sold into sexual slavery by 11 or 12 years old, they were sent to the big cities to work and help provide for their families. This is where the circle of poverty comes into play once again. How can a poor area fix itself if its children don't go to school and get an education but instead work for 12 hours a day? The answer is it can't. Not only that many of the sweatshops fit the stereotype of how we think of the. They are dirty and filled with disease. In fact an astonishing 75% of workers had a respiratory infection because of dust in one factory. This puts the workers in an impossible situation. They understand that if they don't work their families will get nothing but if they do there is a good chance they will get very sick from all the chemicals and dust. Yes a businesses goal is to make as much money as possible but there is a thing called business ethics that i think many people in this world have forgotten about.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb