Indonesia


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia
April 1st 2013
Published: April 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As we continue to look at countries suffering from poverty around the world we looked at a country form a different perspective. We all go out and buy nike products with out a second thought. We idolize the athletes who wear the brand and look at them as role models. We watched a documentary on what goes on behind the scenes of the massive corporation. I had always known that major corporations outsource jobs to other parts of the world but i didn't know how horrible the conditions are where they are forced to work. The documentary describes how in Indonesia, the workers make less than a dollar a day in most cases. This is a huge reason why Indonesia is a very poor country. If people are working this hard all day everyday to make that small portion of money, how are they supposed to send their kids to school. The film referred to the current generation of kids as "doomed". Another issue is that these kids don't understand that there is a better life out their. They don't have to skip meals and not eat because they needed to use money to purchase medicine. There is this reoccuring theme in poor countries that their is a never ending circle that exists. Once one generation of people becomes poor it seems to be very difficult to get out of that hole. The problem is that Nike a well respected company is contributing to this around the world. Yes it is good from a business perspective to be outsourcing jobs and paying the workforce next to nothing, but one has to ask themselves if its ok from a moral or ethical standpoint. To put it simply, several people are starving in order for a few people to continue to grow their wealth. We saw in the film when Phil Knight was asked about the problem he just kind of turned his shoulder and wouldn't answer the question. Its amazing to me that someone like him who has had all the success anyone could dream of is so money hungry that he continues to allow people in other countries to suffer to insure his wealth.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb