Panama


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

In the video we watched about Panama, we saw another example of a big corporation exploiting a poor country and its economy. In this instance we saw a canadian oil company not only exploiting a population but in fact harming one as well. It is pretty well known that panama is located in a part of the world that is stricken with poverty. I was baffled when I learned that this canadian company was dumping waste into the water supply in Panama. This is obviously a very bad thing but if you really think about it, its quite sickening. The people of Panama have no idea that they are drinking dirty contaminated water until they are already sick and its too late. Because the economy is so bad water is already an issue. So maybe even if they knew it was polluted they would still drink it because its their only option but thats besides the point. The citizens have no way of knowing weather or not the water is contaminated. They don't have equipment to test things such as PH levels. It is beyond me that a company would think its ok to do this and take advantage of people like this. At some point there has to be business ethics that over take the desire to just make money. I personally believe that point comes well before people start to get sick because your dumping waste into there waters.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb