Ayuthaya


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 25th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We've left Khao Sok forest now. We spent one night in Surat Thani since out flight was the next day. We were suprised to find a really nice hotel room to stay in (slightly above our guesthouse standards that we've become used to ie mattress on floor, fan, hot water if we're lucky, and usually bamboo is the main building material). That night we wandered around and ate at the night market. It was my favorite one so far since we were the only tourists and the stalls were food rather than cheap mass produced souvenirs. I found a mango and sticky rice stall and stocked up since we had a fride at the hotel. The highlight of the evening though was our lucky find of a Swensons Icecream place. Chris and I both got huge oreo sundaes (this was really quite restrained since they offered a 7 scoop sundae as well as ice cream fondue!). It's hard to acutally find icecream places where they serve it by the scoop instead of a single serving wrapped popsiscle or something.

We are now staying in Ayuthaya, which is the ancient capital of siam (Thailand). We've toured around a couple of the temple ruins that are the main attraction in the area. Mainly crumbling brick structures and headless buddha statues. The heat has driven us back to our guesthouse. But I did enjoy doing a couple of sketches and wandering through the markets. I bought the equivalent of Thai cotton candy. which is spun multi colored sugar fibers which you put in a thin slightly salty green flour pancake. Not bad. Tongiht were heading back out to the night market to eat on the street. We're definitely tired at the end of our journey and our activites mainly involve relaxing while eating, drinking, sitting beneath the air conditioner and getting massages. Tomorrow we'll head back to bangkok and rally our strength one more time to do some shopping in the crazy mega malls of siam square before heading home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb