Last Day on the bike


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
January 28th 2011
Published: January 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

CARNAGE! That's right, i woke up for breakfast pumped for the last day of the ride... and in true Carnage style i fell down the steps and rolled my ankle.... Greg, our neighbour at the resort, came screaming out of his room to see what had happened and replied with "Bec's are you ok, stay there i'll get my camera" couldn't believe it!

Before we got on the bikes Pete addressed us, again an inspirational pep talk... then we played the national anthem and Greg showed us the most incredible Haka.. it sent chills up my spine.

So after a few tears and some ice, i tried to get on my bike to see if riding was easier than walking... Unfortunately it wasn't, i couldn't put any pressure on my foot at that point. I was absolutely devasted, 54kms from the finish line..

After a conversation with Pete, i very reluctantly jumped in the support vehicle for 2 legs... Whilst in the car i threw down a lot of pain killers and at the next water stop i wasn't letting anything stop me from riding...

So on the bike i hopped and thanks to Steve, talking to me the whole rest of the way i put my head down and rode the rest of the way in a very low gear!

We stopped and regrouped as we came into town, 1km down the road were some children from the orphanage ready to ride with us.... They were all carrying Aus flags and Thai Flags and we cruised the 4 kms to the Orphanage....

We had a police escort and a marching band waiting for us... We turned the corner savouring the moment, Chris our tour guide had said on several occasions that we were riding the 795kms for this last 5km.. He was dead right..

I turned the corner and saw all of our families and friends who had made it out to the finish line going crazy...

When i first saw Frank and Dot - My boss and his wife, i rode up to them and lost it completely.. The last 10 days all caught up with me and i was very sad that our adventure was over...

We all hugged and celebrated what was a life changing experience and watched the children dance and welcome us in...

Our finale dinner was held at our resort, the kids all came running out and starting dancing with us and hugging us.. It was a night i will never forget..

We ended up all down on the beach letting off lanterns and making wishes for the future... I can only assume that all of our wishes were for these beautiful children to have as many opportunities as they can.

I want to thank all the people who rode with me... who laughed with me... who cried with me... and who inspired me to be a better person.

Big ups to Julz my gorgeous roomie, you certainly made my trip... To my LJ Hooker crew.. Jas, Paul and Steve... You guys are legends and i can't wait to catch up soon.. The WA contingency - Pat & Tony who have been with me since i left Perth airport.. Your jokes and humour but more importantly your encouraging words throughout the last 2 weeks were fantastic and i can't wait to see you back home... Peter and Nic our fearless leaders, words are not enough to express how amazing you are.... But most of to everyone back home sending messages throughout the last few weeks!THANK YOU...

Well done to all riders, lets not stop here... my comittment to those children has never been stronger..

I look forward to our reunion in 3 months!

That's it... I'm spent, i am completely exhausted emotionally and physically and i can't wait to reflect over the next couple of weeks and see what comes out of what has been my number one trip!

Advertisement



28th January 2011

Congratulations
Congratulations Bec! Has been wonderful reading your blog and all about the trip and the work that is being done to support the orphanage and others. What a mammoth effort!!
28th January 2011

Legend
Bec You are such an inspirational go getter. You always have been and I think you always will be. Such a gutsy effort and I can only imagine how you would have felt 54ks off the finishing line, but know exactly how you would have reacted as well. A fantastic achievment and you should be so proud. I am of you... What a cause as well. Congratulations Bec xxx

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb