Norway Awards Thailand ‘Best Tourist Destination 2009’


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand
February 12th 2009
Published: February 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Scandinavian country of the Kingdom of Norway has awarded Thailand “The Best Tourist Destination” for the 6th consecutive year and Thai Airways International has been chosen as “The Best Intercontinental Airlines” for the 5th time.

On 5 January 2009, the Thai Ambassador to Norway, His Excellency Jullapong Nonsrichai, along with representatives of the Tourism Authority of Thailand attended the Grand Travel Awards 2009 ceremony in Oslo to accept the recognitions on behalf of the country’s tourism industry and Thai Airways International.

On receiving the recognitions, H.E Jullapong Nonsrichai expressed his appreciation and indicated that the award is testimony of the confidence that Norwegians have in Thailand. He after went on to stress that the situation in Thailand has returned to normal and the government is determined to ensure that the whole of Thailand continues as usual to whole-heartedly welcome tourists, investors and all friends to the Kingdom.

Organized for the 14th time, the Grand Travel Awards began their search for Best Tourist Destination by electing a travel trade jury who in turn short-list ten countries for the awards. More than 400 members of the airline, travel, hotel and other related industries from all over Norway, are then asked to vote for the country which they believe is best for Norwegian tourists. As a result, Thailand secured more votes than any of the other nine participating countries.

For over 100 years, the Kingdoms of Thailand and Norway have enjoyed close cordial diplomatic relations, friendship, cooperation and mutual respect. Ever since the evolution of tourism to Thailand, the people of Norway have been choosing Thailand as their favored get-away. In sharp contrast to this Western Scandinavia’s country of huge scenic fjords and handsome rugged coastline, Thailand offers Norwegians the opportunity to experience natural beauty of another kind.

Getting away from often sub-zero temperatures and more than chilly wind factors, Norwegians, in droves, have experienced tropical smoothing weather to ensure the blood turns red again. On top of that, the people of Norway have been continually enchanted by Thailand’s historical temples, irresistible cuisine, ancient culture and traditions and evergreen limestone islands surrounded by pearlescent sand.

Travelling from the Land of the Midnight Sun to the Land of Smiles, Norwegian travelers to Thailand have also engaged the renowned world-wide hospitality of the Thai people who have welcomed the people of Norway with open arms.

Norwegians, famed for their undeterred consciousness of environmentally friendly performance have been able to appreciate Thailand’s out-standing environmental policies. Thailand has set-aside 13% of the country’s landmass for environmental protection, consisting of an unprecedented 134 national and marine national parks. Standing at 2,565 meters, Doi Inthanon, as Thailand’s highest mountain, has turned into a Southeast Asian Mecca for wildlife, bird and flora lovers.

Thailand’s love for the environment has been spurred on by King Bhumiphol Adulyadej’s indebted love and care for the environment and his establishment of countless royal projects to protect Thailand’s mother-nature. The people of Norway have also shown their appreciation for His Majesty’s innovative self-sufficiency people to boost Thailand standard of GNH, Gross National Happiness.

Finally, Norwegian travelers to Thailand have been able to delight themselves with a diverse variety of travel activities to suit every taste. Thailand has now become a haven for top-notch medical, spa, golf, shopping and dining tourism. For sure, Thailand hopes that mutual trust, friendship and respect between the two Kingdoms, as well as other friendly foreign states, will continue to blossom indefinitely.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb